Ilia

Toyota truck SPOOL into X8 differential.

I thought you all may be interested in this project.

I purchased one of these spool center units:

file_111_8.jpg

I hope to make it fit inside of my Supra differential. My tech measured a bunch of whatnot prior to buying it, but didn't get to measure the bearing journal diameters.

Now that we have both the differential housing and the center unit open, we've come to some conclusions:

The ring gear is essentially an exact fit and will work fine.

The splines are a good fit, but do not have snap ring grooves as the solid axle cars retain them at the outside of the beam axle. I don't know that I'm too worried about that, as there's ample pressure from the axles on the output shafts to keep them in place.

The bearing journals on the spool center unit are not appropriate for X8/Supra bearings.

I'm now in search of some bearings that are the appropriate ID and OD to make this center unit work. I'd like it very much as I think the car drives fine with a locked diff, and this is a $95 solution that has correct on-center and isn't warped like every welded diff I've ever used.

If I can't get bearings easily or need to spend more than $200 total to make this work I'll abandon it, but for now the search continues.

Don't be retarded, make it work.

Either the bearing surface is too big, or too small.

Too big, then turn it down.

Too small, make adaptor sleeves.

And just cut the snap ring groves into the damn splines, unless you want your half shafts to fall out, and beat the underside of your car to shit.

What gordo says.

With no snap rings at best youre looking at a pretty major leak.

^ was just going to say that. Just because the splines slide around doesn't mean the seals will hold the oil in.

If you think there is ample pressure to keep them in place, you are so mistaken......

Common problem when the original T1 Torsen LSDs hit over here, was that people were trying to use them with the US shafts, that the snap ring had a shallower location, and would not lock in.

I know of several MkIII Supra owners that had the halfshafts pop out, not just back off enough to allow leakage.

You must have a local machine shop that you can walk in, hand them the spool, ask if they can duplicate the groves, and to correct the bearing boss diameter difference.

Take them a stock diff to compare it to.

If the spool's bosses are too big, that is a simple fix, and easily covered by $200.

If they are too small, than that takes extra work to make the spacers.

Noted- I'll have snap ring grooves cut in if I decide to move forward.

I'm not totally sure that the interference fit required for adapter sleeves will not cause stress to the journal... exploring the option of a shrink fit, but we'll see.

If I find some "adapter" bearings that just happen to have the correct diameters, that might be cool too. I'll keep you guys posted on dimensions and the solution I pursue. It might be a good option for Cressida people... the spool center unit sells for $95 shipped.

hey why not? if theyre that cheap, someone machine savvy could buy them up and do the work necessary then sell them as a "drift differential" kit for a chunk of change?

Id be in for this. If its cheap enough it would be worth having a couple extra diffs with this set up with you at the track.

I really fucked up dragging ass on this, I was going to have the cutter-grinder at work make me a carbide key-cutter to do the grooves, but I got lazy and didn't get it done in time before he quit, and I'm not friends with the new guy.

What's the brg diameter for these?

hey why not? if theyre that cheap, someone machine savvy could buy them up and do the work necessary then sell them as a "drift differential" kit for a chunk of change?

Ha, to the broke ass cressida club ?

You've been smoken weed today, right ?

i really dont see how this is much better than welding your diff. with the amount of work you potentially have to do, why not adapt a real lsd

If these were cheap, that'd be cool. I've had bad luck with welded diffs. Eaton wasn't willing to retool for the bearing sizes and snap rings on the Detroit locker to make a mk3/is300/x8 diff to be sold at $700 per unit like the other detroits. That's my favorite diff ever. I asked them a few years back. Fuck this stock clutch type. It's gay and unpredictable, too easy to break lose.

700 is close to a used 1.5 way or something sweet. You gotta weld the shit out of them. I have had mine for like 5 years now

Sorry to Lazarus this thread but I noticed that the OP didn't say if he had the 4 cyl or v6 version of the toyota 8" spool, apparently the V6 one is the one that can take the supra lsd so it would stand to reason that the V6 spool would be the one you would need for our diff, could it be you had the 4cyl version and may be why the bearings didn't fit?

They are indeed pretty cheap: https://www.durasolid.com/product/spool-8-toyota-v6-30-splines/