tougekid1

Cooling.

What are you guys using to keep your cars cool?

I have twin electric fans that aren't worth shit. With the shitty fans I have ON and going down the highway I'm still reading about 190*. Seams hi to me.

Sitting at a light it starts getting hot. I have already changed Thermostat, H2O pump.

I have a Misimoto radiator, and 1.3 bar cap. Twin Flex-a-light fans I got cheap from an old Nissan kid.

Just curios as to what the masses are using that works before I buy.

Thank you.

I had cooling problems with the stock rad and thermostat.

I switched up to a Megan radiator and low temp mishimoto thermostat .

Car never a goes above 180 now and thats with no hydro fan,just flexalite slim fit dual e fans.

Tbone, I wouldn't use a chinese thermostat, even if they sponsored me.

But it does bring up the question, tougkid, just what fucking theremostat are you using ???

A lot of newer cars take 190 thermostates, so your system is doing what you are telling it to do (except for the idle heat thing).

I suggest (remember, I live with 7Ms, so cooling is of the upmost importance) getting a good high flow thermostat, the most expensive Stant BRASS one you can find (the steel cheapos, no matter who you buy them from are crap), with an opening temp of no higher than 180 degrees. Then drill at least 2 - 1/8" holes through it at the top, so it always allows some flow.

Your idle issue is probably because of wimpy wire driving your fans, and a faggoty little fan relay.

Go to at least an 80 amp relay, with 12 ga wire.

Also check your alternator, and if by chance you have a fucking supra 60 amp unit (or what ever other cars Toyota chose to put those damn things on), get something bigger.

At idle, a small alternator will not put out enough current to support twin electric fans, when you need them most.

My last 7M ran just fine, with 12:1 compression on a Koyo IS300 radiator, with a dual Flexlite fan assembly.

Another problem, is if you are not running the factory engine underpan, the hot air at idle will circulate right back to the front of the radiator, thus causing over heating at idle.

Same goes for if you just have 2 round fans on the back of the radiator, hot air comes out of the fans, and goes right back to the front through the areas not covered by the fans.

That is why you should have a fan shroud.

I used just a stock Toyota thermo. I have no fan shroud and was looking into them today. Ill dbl check wire gage and I just grabbed a duel fan relay out of Summit. Never thought about the Alternator. And those shitty little fans couldn't blow away a dead stray leaf. Last car I had I used 6.0 lt. GTO fans. But there is not as much room in the Cressida.

Thank you guys. At lest now I have some idea of where to go from here.

For electric fans, OEM is a better option than aftermarket imo. I went to the junkyard and found a chevy cobalt electric fan and shroud that happens to be the exact size as an mx83 radiator core. The fan is a two speed 16"? that looks identical to the popular ford taurus fan. It moves much more air than cheap efans. I have the fan triggered by a 180 degree switch in the lower rad hose so it only runs when needed. Paired with a dual core aluminum rad it cools very well.

3Row radiator from china and a 3.8 ford Taurus electric fan.

Has yet to let me down and i was bouncing my rev limiter all day at the track in like 100+ degree weather.

Running a 160degree themo in mine. Works outstanding.

Taurus fan with original Taurus shroud (trimmed) and Mishimoto radiator with stock cap (Mishimoto rad caps suck and leak). 2 speed fan is wired to a 3 way switch and almost never need to use high speed. Gordo is right, use heavy duty 80 amp relays. Can now flog indefinitely and the temp never rises.

This setup is with a 1UZ though.. Might be too thick for inline 6 applications.

IMG_20150409_224140397_zpsmbtegffr.jpg

Damn.

i've got the mishi rad with e-fans. one 15" and one 10"

Shit runs hot as fuck. on a good day i'm at 90-95c (195-205f) ish

On a hot day / beating it on the track it climbs up to 100c (215f) ish

Mind you i have old ass water left over from last season, and probably only a tiny bit of water wetter left.

And it's being read off an aftermarket sender/gauge from the block where the oem one goes.

So my numbers are probably all fucked, but it seems to have done alright so far.

Been thinking of mounting a fan on my i/c to push onto the rad, putting some fresh water/wetter in it, and putting a thermoswitch in the system, cause right now im on it ghetto switch style.

My temp sensor is in the water neck so I'm probably reading a little hot. I only have about 3-3.5" between my rad and the water pump pulley. So no room for a Taurus fan.. :(

Guess I'm going to get a shroud and check into the alternator , wire gage, and amp size.

Fwiw, I remember an Option vid where they worked with Yashio Factory to replace each part of the cooling system with shit, fans, rad, shrouds, and tested track temps each item. Nothing actually did much, even made it worse. Until they added a water sprayer. That worked insanely well.

On my car the vented hood made a big difference somehow.

My car has always cooled well, but I am adding a vented hood to decrease under car air pressure, to increase stability at high speeds.

(something drifters never have to worry about)

Yeah, it's gonna be real unstable on the back of that flatbed in ten years when you finally lose your marbles and Alex has executive power and needs room for datsuns...

I have an afco radiator from a dodge charger, i use an e46 electric fan, and the water that comes from my turbo goes through a small heater core before going back to the engine. drilled 2 holes in my thermostat also.