Sign in to follow this  
tuner4life

MX83 tach work with 1UZFE?

I could have sworn there was a thread about this, but I all I can seem to find is info about JZs.. My tach works fine, but it reads 2/3 of actual.. Obviously this is due to the old 7M reading off of a 6 cyl signal, while the 1UZFE uses a 4 cyl signal.. I thought there was some sort of trickery you could do with a resistor or something, but I can't seem to find the info.

It is possible that I am retarded and I'm just missing it, but has anyone fixed the tack so that it reads right?

I did a 2rz swap into an older pickup a while back that had a trimmer on it, used the techstream to read actual rpm and and adjusted the pot until it read correct. Not sure if the cressida tach has something similar, havent seen one in like 4 years

Hmm.. I've got a 1985 Celica Gt-s.. But I don't want to tear it apart just yet lol. Good info though.. If I don't find a spare cluster to donate to science, I'll be waiting for Mark's fix.

Disco, is yours digital dash? I'm curious about that myself. I think Chris used a tach adaptor of some sort, but don't see why the normal resistor bypass wouldn't work if you can find it

msd adapter to get the tach to read. i didnt look into any other solutions but the cluster was canadian not jdm if that matters.

Yes kyle is the digital one. Chris do you have the msd part number for the one you used. Not sure if removing a resistor would work like the 7m analog, Maybe mark can chime in? Hes a beast with this ish.

I understand Tuner4life i have had my UZ in my car for just as long as you and i still have the lazy tach thing going on lol.

hopefully marks fix is easy and affordable haha.

Anyone ever try a 4cyl tach from something else that'll work?

Something like an RX80 tach maybe.

I axed him and he said you can swap out any 4cylinder with single coil tach board, closer to the same year is better, he used one from an ae86 successfully.

i just grabbed a Tach circuit board from a 90's Auto celica gt from the junk yard because they are abundant and have factory tach's, if it works ill post my findings in here.

Ive had zero luck finding the right tachometer circuit boards at the junk yard.

So ive been trying to do my own research on finding out how to modify the stock circuit board to work with the UZ.

This circuit board below is actually for the 4 cylinder 4age/4agze that ive found on the inter webs.

and every circuit resistor seems identical to the ones used with 7mge/ 7mgte/ 1jzgte,

EXCEPT C3 which is10v 220uF for the 4age/4agze & 10v 47uF for our cars 7mge/ 7mgte/ 1jzgte which im guessing is the winner.

TachComponentIdentification.jpg

Below this is the X8 cluster and circuit board.

you can see that C3 is noticeably smaller, and is my best guess to make the tach stop being lazy.

IMG_3206_zpsltrdd366.jpg

IMG_3208_zpsdxrmmqoz.jpg

IMG_3209_zpssfetichp.jpg

IMG_3207_zpskihxfswo.jpg

I am definitely not a wiring guru and was seeing if anybody else had input on this.

i would have tried this already but i cant find a 220uF capacitor or circuit board at the junk yard and i am a cheap ass.

But i guess if i found a 4age circuit board i would just swap them out and save my self the head ache of soldering on a new capacitor,

if their even capacitors or resistors or whatever the fuck.

Mines from a 22re 85 celica gts. Works perfect. I'm sure a board from any 2nd and 3rd gen yota will do it.

Sign in to follow this