Sign in to follow this  
tougekid1

R154 shifter location

I have tried to confirm that I have the correct shifter on the r154. I have read so many conflicting posts/thread/Google shit that I'm not sure anymore.

The tranny is sitting at a shop nearby, but I work nights and 70ish hrs a week. I don't have time to get over there and pull my w58 to measure, measure the r154 ect.

Can ANYONE please confirm which fucking shifter housing will give me the correct location for the r154 in a x8?

I don't know if its the lack of sleep or just general " I cant fucking believe I cant find the answer" that is pissing me off so fucking much.

Yeah, I've seem different stories on what fits also.

But here is the deal, there is a different tunnel sheetmetal part for the X8 with the 5-speed, than what we got here in north america with the auto. Toyota p/n 58261-22210

You used to be able to buy it from Toyota, but last year went I went searching for one in Japan, they were no longer available.

Anyway, measure from the centerline of your engine mount holes, to the center of the hole in the tunnel.

Then substract the distance from the center of the engine mounts, to the back of the engine where the bellhousing mounts.

This leaves the length from the front of the bell housing, to the center of the shifter :)

way cool of you gordo.

anecdotally, if you're using the mkiii r154 (which im sure you are) and jzx81 mounts it should line up enough. 1-3-5 will be hard if you're using your cupholders but other than that it's fine.

jzz30 (or so i was told it came out of) extended shifter locates it pretty far back. i smashed the shit out of my tunnel to get the r154 to fit up tight, then i did a bit of an outline on the stock shifter hole compared to what i needed to make room for, dropped the trans down, saws-all'd the shit out of my hole, and made shit work.

I dont think either position fits very well, so you're probably gonna have to just make it fit either way.

Sweet. I should be finding out in a few weeks. Still have some parts to gather. I appreciate the help and setting my mind at ease. The last thing I wanted to do is get everything stripped out and ready only to have the wrong shifter housing of all things stop me from putting it in.

Thanks again.

All R154s should be able to fit. even the jzz30. It's the W58s from the MKII celica-supra that are to short. And any R or W series from a truck will not fit without a stupid gooseneck or something.

Jzx90 brackets and xm brackets both do mk3 dead center. Mk4 w58, late z30/x90 and later w and r all suck because tripod and need some good hacking. Due to shift housing and the stupid little breather and such.

Aphxero's right, I have the XM mounts, and an R154 out of an JZZ70, it lines up perfect.

Sign in to follow this