Y0SH

Brakes

Trying to decide on what brake set up I want to use on the X8, for both the front and rear. I figured since there is a thread for steering angle and engine setups, there might as well be a place to talk about brakes, brake adapters, and e-brakes.

Yea I'm kinda curios as to some of the swaps as well. Im waiting on my Beecher z32 front adapters to show up. But Im worried about the bias without the rear being upgraded. Guess Ill find out in a week or so.

New SS lines, StopTech slotted rotors F/R and Hawk HP pads.

Eventually Ill do the XM second caliper for hydro but that's not a pressing issue right now.

I remember seeing a link on here for a company in Japan that has an adaptor for running the Z32 rears but you have to use JZX100 rear rotors and trying to source them in the US is a fucking pain so I scraped that idea.

Awesome disco! I be been trying to find info on the evo swap ever since I saw you mention them in your build thread but wasn't sure what adapters you used.

Just front. I forget who makes the adapter, Probably some zilvia fag but is well made. I abused them alot, mostly brake boosting and highway runs. Still going strong And yeah X chassis.

You don't have to have JZX100 rear disks to run the Z32/R32 rear calipers, you just need to take your rear brake shoes to a clutch & relining shop, and have them replace the paper thin stock friction material with something thicker to match the larger Lexus drum diameter.

Crap, all this shit has been rehashed before.........

Im sure most of the options for brakes are scattered throughout the forum, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a thread where you could post your set up and see what other options are out there.

Wait .. I apologize in advance.

I on my 71st hour at work since Monday and another 3hrs to go before I'm done today. I am not understanding what your saying Gordo.. Are you saying that a larger drum (e-brake) pad and a new Lexus rotor will allow me to run the Z32 rears??

Sorry again... shit is not computing in my head right.

Crap, I feel for you.

Yes, there are brake pads in Japan where they have put on an extremely thick layer of friction material in order to use a different rear disk that has a larger drum diameter than what was originally on the car.

And any large brake shop in capable of installing new material, then grinding it to fit your drum diameter.

By the way, the guy that was making the Nissan rear caliper adaptors for the X8, doesn't any more........

There was a pre-pwned (but never installed) set on YJ a few weeks ago, but they were almost as much as what the new set was when they were available, so I passed them up.

I'm torn between going with the Evo setup like disco has, or the GTR setup Gordo has. At least for the front.

I picked up a set of brembo's off a z32 at the junker. got em for free-finger-discount. Got the set of front z32 adapters, but i couldn't figure out how the flying fuck to mount them. In my defense it was like 2am and 8 or 9 beers deep... maybe ill take another look sometime.

What i wanna know is has anyone gotten brembos to work on rear? Which ones, and what adapters did they use? or are they mostly one off brackets fucked together and made to work.

i'm getting close to pulling it all apart and just cutting some steel up to mock, then having something machined to make them work. Since i got another set of rears for hydro brake for hella cheap.. it may be worth it.

For now i actually don't mind the stock calipers. Managed to find a set of rear e-brake shoes, and it does the trick for now i guess.

Since i only have a stock 1j on a pretty much stock chassis, i threw hawk pads in with brembo blanks up front and i think mountain's in the rear. Shit stops the car, job done.

it was a custom machined bracket, bolted in from the top. i want to say they're from a 350z, or theyre just universal junk. rears were direct bolt-on.

I chose c5 vette front calipers since they bolt right the fuck on. I had to redrill the discs for proper lug pattern.

In the rear, the geo metro gsi fronts ( the 6 piston ones) fit pretty well on the rears.

Mark, what's your e-mail addy ?

I have a whole file on just brake conversions, including the vette stuff, that I can forward.

Gordon, can you please resend the brake pdf to my new email I just pm'd you? That was a good reference chart but my crazy gf changed my email password and I can no longer access it

markymark, let me know when you get that email. gordos messages to me sometimes get caught in my spam filter and i want to make sure you get it.