Sign in to follow this  
swim

UCF30 power steering solenoid?

hey fuckers,

X5A8VTi.jpg

what the shit is the solenoid on the pinion housing? is it like the solenoid on the X8 power steering that I forget what it does?

I fucked the dog and took motoiq's word for granted and ordered the a similar steering rack to the camry rack that one of the drift FRS cars uses "because it bolts up". Spoiler alert: it doesn't. Once I actually got the rack and measured it's obviously going to need to be modded to make it work, but the UCF30 LS430 rack appears to be the correct mounting length. I'm torn between making the avalon rack I ordered fit, or exchanging it for an LS430 rack. Anyone know what that little shitfucker is supposed to do, and how hard it'd be to hook up?

it's totally progressive power steering. shit thread, OP sucks.

still, idk if I should just go with the PPS rack that fits or the vanilla rack that needs mods to fit. does a PPS rack with the solenoid unhooked suck?

pretty sure the solenoid resting is minimum assist, and the controller uses PWM to energize it and add assist at low speeds.

I guess I need an arduino to control this thing based on speed, steering angle, and a smartphone app

so then it's nothing like the x8 where unplugged is max and you can wire in a rheostat in place of the computer to change it on the fly

a knob would be a cool looking addition to the inside of your racecar, especially with a piece of tape labeled "steering"

That is most likely a low current pot also.

Let me know when you let the magic smoke out of it.

I'm talking about using a trim pot to select maps for a PWM output on AEM or megasquirt, so I'd be letting the magic smoke out of the ECU, not the pot.

all this talk about magic smoke and being high and none of us live in WA or CO.

Dont forget oregon!

Srsly though, the pps solenoid requires some pretty serious juice like 15W. You could repurpose a fuel dropping resistor and trim from there. Every setup is gonna feel different too so you've just gotta play with it.

If you wanted to get fancy you could use a pwm output from your standalone to park it at different levels for different conditions. This would also require a GPS speed signal as a refence since in drifting wheel speed means fuck all.

Yep.

Build mounts for s13 rack. Done. Thats my solution to everything