Urrik

New Look / Same Poor Taste

Found my pictures, probably <500 miles in as well.  But that was thousands of miles ago now.  I just assumed it was because literally every bushing is either hard poly or solid at his point for me, and the fact that I remove every one of those dampener bricks on the subframe and trans xmember haha.  I'm a pussy and rarely even go fast enough to get to the vibration (it's moved further back now because I swapped from 4.3 to 3.9 too) and when I am going that fast it's not for very long hah.

1KuhlIC.jpg

XeDeilP.jpg

Edit:

My buddy thinks it could possible be a warn out housing busing: https://ampdistributing.com/collections/toyota-r151-r154/products/1986-93-toyota-supra-r154-transmission-extension-tail-housing-bushing

Yeah pretty sure I killed my slip yoke bushing. You can see here the chunks smeared out the end of it:

50359639453_6e94a77cdf_c.jpg

Probably the only bearing in the trans that I never replaced lol

haha ya same, because typically they aren't included in the rebuild kits. 

The Mazda guys are lucky, someone makes a roller bearing to fix that issue.
Looked at one of my W58 builds to see if it would be possible, but there isn't enough material in the housing to machine it large enough for an off the shelf bearing.

It could be saved by machining another sleeve bearing from bronze to replace the original pressed in one,
but not cost effective if you don't have a buddy that owns a machine shop.

To avoid having that happen again, that area has to be super clean, the yoke bearing surface 100% free of nicks or rust pits, and a lot of grease on installation.

I'm surprised none of these trans have a roller bearing for that application from the factory...

There could have been some imperfections on the yoke that I hadn't noticed. I also do jizz a good amount of gear lube on the yoke before installing it usually. Could a poorly balanced driveshaft have influenced this failure? Though it might just be a combination of age and abuse -- there has to be over 200k miles on this box at this point. 

Aside from whatever I do for a trans, I'll get a new yoke and u-joints and have the balance checked at a different shop

If it's just a score or two, polish up the yoke, and insert it.
If there is a lot of slop, the tail housing is toast, but if it has normal side to side movement, run it.

Compared to the two A340 trans I have laying around, theres quite a bit more play with the yoke inserted. Theres also tons of metal in the fluid. I'm ready to call time of death.