EFI - DIYPNP stand alone ecu

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JoooeOne_*

Guest_JoooeOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

so im going stand alone next pay check,i got in my mind the diypnp microsquirt its cheap 425,my friends they allready have one runnig but its in a ae86 and i heard that tunnig na and turbo is another different story i guess im gona need some help tunnig like whats a good A/F ratio heres the link of the page http://www.diyautotu...-kit-p-384.html

the 76 pin ecu is not made for the 1jz but it is made for the supra mk3 so i will be getting a 7m wiring harness and modifying it
heres a video of a 2jz on a 4 runner
and heres a 1jz on a e36 running on a megasquirt ecu

diyautotune.com send me a questionnaire about the engine specs because like i send the ecu pins are not made for the 1jz so i will have to swap some sensors here are the questions i got the most obvious ones

1. What year/make/model/engine/tranny? (Pretend you're at the parts store, ordering a starter.) If this isn't the original engine/electronics let me know that too.1992 toyota cressida 1jzgtevvti 1999
2. Are you looking to control fuel only, ignition only, or fuel and ignition? Is there anything beyond these features that you are looking to control - fans or boost, for example?.boost vvti ignition
3. What are the engine details (type, number of cylinders, previously fuel injected or carb'd?).inline 6 turbo fuel injected
4. What type of ignition system does your car run- where is the crank angle sensor (CAS) or distributor trigger wheel and what type is it (Optical/LED Sensor? Hall Sensor? VR Sensor?) i need help on this one
5. How many teeth/windows/slots and what orientation does the CAS, crank trigger, and/or distributor wheel have? (any missing? all evenly spaced?) HELP!!!
6. Is there a distributor? Single/Multiple Coils? Coil on Plug?.MULTIPLE COILS wasted spark
7. Does this engine have a fast idle valve (IAC)? If so, how many wires are connected to it? Do you know if it is an on/off, pulse width modulated, thermal, or stepper type? it had one is a electronic one
8. Rate yourself 1-5 on technical confidence in yourself. 1 being "I can't paint by numbers" and 5 being "I can probably build a car from scratch if I have the right documentation, and I'm resourceful enough to do some research and find some of my own answers." I need to know this as some of the 'less traveled' roads will require you to make modifications that in some cases I haven't performed myself yet and based on this response it will help me to know whether this type of solution is for you or not. I challenge you to 'stretch yourself' a little bit. You won't ever learn anything (about yourself and your abilities) if you don't try to do things that you're not quite sure you can do... and then find that you can.3 but my friends a 5+
9. Are you looking to build your own ECU from a kit or buy a pre-assembled ECU?yes
10. Are you open to retrofitting a different ignition system such as the Ford EDIS distributorless system or one of our crank trigger kits if it is determined that the MegaSquirt will not properly (or easily) control your factory ignition system? Many factory systems MegaSquirt can simply take control of, some it cannot. EDIS to the rescue! It's cheap, simple and works great! yes

so here it is peeps any help will be greatfull

#2 Guest_Gaijin Smash Wayhoff_*

Guest_Gaijin Smash Wayhoff_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

If you don't know what a good air/fuel ratio is, you probably shouldn't tackle tuning on your own. Spend the extra money and get a reliable tuner to do it.

#3 bwcress

bwcress

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

are you serious? if you dont know the answers to some of these questions dont do it yourself... a bad tune or something wired wrong can= bang bang for your engine

#4 Guest_JoooeOne_*

Guest_JoooeOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:53 AM

Well I only need help on 4 and 5

#5 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I !♥ StockTwins

• real members
  • 1,825 posts
  • Interests:Dudes, Dicks, Derivatives

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:37 AM

ive playing with megafail on a itb'd 16v. it wasnt all that jazz. Save the $$ get a real standalone on a real tune. you wont regret it

#6 Guest_swim_*

Guest_swim_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

megasquirt may be cheap, but it's not easy. if you don't know what the fuck you're doing, which you obviously don't, the car will never fucking run.

#7 Demesio

Demesio

I♥NA-T

• real members
  • 940 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

Emanage...

#8 Guest_DuaxMachine_*

Guest_DuaxMachine_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 01:39 PM

Typical Mega-Dribble inquirey on a supra forum:

1) Hey, who runs a mega-shit ?
2) Hey, I just bought a mega-shit, how do I.......?
3) Hey, got the car running on my mega-shit, but now.....
4) I've got a complete mega-shit for sale !

#9 Guest_JoooeOne_*

Guest_JoooeOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

whta my other options on stand alones? something cheap well not cheap but not to expensive

#10 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 5,015 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium
  • Powered By:Dicks

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:33 AM

Vvt-i Crank trigger wheel is 36-2, and has a 3 tooth cam trigger

Pretty sure they are VR type sensors, though you should research that because I'm not positive. I know jzxpwns had a friend with a vvti engine on megasquirt, maybe hit him up. It was a celica/supra, so might wanna look through their shit.

I would say for simplicity get a haltech platinum sport 1000. Does vvti adjustments in degrees on their software if I remember right. A truly kick ass little ecu for about a grand. You can switch to full cable throttle body and probably get maps to start with for a jzx100 engine from a few people that will get you in the ballpark.

Also, since your iacv was in the throttle body you'll have none anymore, but who cares? You're in a decent climate

#11 Jacob

Jacob

antagonist

• OG
  • 2,086 posts
  • Interests:obsessed with offending people with penis imagery, jokes, and violence.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

From other shit that you've done, I'd say go MegaSquirt. You could probably get one for cheap off a dickhead from SM (one of those fail people that Gordon mentioned). Another method has been using a honda apexi ECU.

I say DIY cuz you are smart and you'll learn more even if you go to something else later.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I do.

#12 JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa

I ♥ 1J + Holset

• Administrators
  • 1,798 posts
  • Interests:I like fast cars (with 4 doors), smart women who are into dirty sex, biking, building stuff and making money.

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

If you're going to use any form of megasquirt, do it yourself from the ground up, get to know what you're doing, fix your own issues, get an electrical engineering degree in the process, and don't plan on DDing the car for a while until you beat your head against the wall enough to fix all the issues and then find someone competent to tune it.

I had a megasquirt 1 in my AE86 with a 20 valve. After the initial hiccups in setting it up and figuring out how to tune for open ITBs it ran really well.

I recently bought a megasquirt 3X with all the bells and whistles for my cressi but I likely won't install it for a couple months. People say megasquirts suck, but the problem isn't with the units, it's the people who think that building/installing/tuning your own standalone ECU is going to be easy and inexpensive, then realize they're in way over their head and have no clue wtf they're doing. I know two guys who have been running megasquirts for close to 8 years, both run great and make pretty impressive power.

"JZXP - we get death threats" -Rayray
-1987 AE86 Corolla with 20 valve swap SOLD
-1985 MX73 Cressida 1.5JZ Holset HX35 & MS3X
Toysport and 935 Motorsports suck. Don't buy from either.

#13 Stephen

Stephen

GOT MILF?

• 1,151 posts
  • Interests:Tire Smoke and Boobs

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:41 AM

^or they've messed with some of the more expensive standalones that have some features, or better workign features than the previous versions of megasquirt had.

megaderp3 fixes a lot of those issues, and it has a reeeallly good setting for itbs. it'll likely be the SA of choice for NA folks.

Posted Image

#14 Guest_JoooeOne_*

Guest_JoooeOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:15 AM

Pretty sure they are VR type sensors, though you should research that because I'm not positive. I know jzxpwns had a friend with a vvti engine on megasquirt, maybe hit him up. It was a celica/supra, so might wanna look through their shit.

is he still on this forum?

#15 Guest_JoooeOne_*

Guest_JoooeOne_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

From other shit that you've done, I'd say go MegaSquirt. You could probably get one for cheap off a dickhead from SM (one of those fail people that Gordon mentioned). Another method has been using a honda apexi ECU.

I say DIY cuz you are smart and you'll learn more even if you go to something else later.

honda apexi? it will work? does it have to be any special honda ecu?

If you're going to use any form of megasquirt, do it yourself from the ground up, get to know what you're doing, fix your own issues, get an electrical engineering degree in the process, and don't plan on DDing the car for a while until you beat your head against the wall enough to fix all the issues and then find someone competent to tune it.

I had a megasquirt 1 in my AE86 with a 20 valve. After the initial hiccups in setting it up and figuring out how to tune for open ITBs it ran really well.

I recently bought a megasquirt 3X with all the bells and whistles for my cressi but I likely won't install it for a couple months. People say megasquirts suck, but the problem isn't with the units, it's the people who think that building/installing/tuning your own standalone ECU is going to be easy and inexpensive, then realize they're in way over their head and have no clue wtf they're doing. I know two guys who have been running megasquirts for close to 8 years, both run great and make pretty impressive power.

hell yeah bro im gona build from the ground up!!! the only thing thats holding me down is that here in mexico we dont have dynos but o well probably gonna do freeway pulls

#16 Jacob

Jacob

antagonist

• OG
  • 2,086 posts
  • Interests:obsessed with offending people with penis imagery, jokes, and violence.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

people have mentioned honda boxes here. The ECU plugs come off a 90s accord or some shit. Then you stick 2J software in it and take it to someone who can tune apexi.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I do.

#17 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 5,015 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium