#1 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I !♥ StockTwins

• real members
  • 1,922 posts
  • Interests:Dudes, Dicks, Derivatives

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:38 AM

Ok I know theres another thread going right about tires,
but i need some new ones up front awefully bad.

So I thought I would create one for best performace for dollar,

I dont have much expericence with tires, as I've only run federals, and nexens.
I typically run 50 sidewall

I drive like to drive "spiritively" aka like a dick, and street sessions from time to time.
It snows and rains up here this time of the year (flagstaff shitizona)
BUT I also dont want tires that are only gonna last 5-10k miles

Ive been looking at these:
http://www.tirerack....romCompare1=yes

People "claim" that they have excellent wet and snow traction,
but seen some people claiming they got rather soft sidewalls. So maybe I want to find a

Just wondering what you guys run for "performance"ish tires.

#2 Guest_I<3BlondeGirls_*

Guest_I<3BlondeGirls_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

I'm running Dunlop Direzza DZ101 on my meisters and Toyo Proxes4 on my Centerlines.

I haven't truly pushed the dunlops yet, besides some spirited driving in the touge. But so I far I love how they feel, and these tires were recommened highly by lots of people who slide.

Proxes4's offer decent grip, and i loved how they felt on the corolla during street sessions.

I have no clue how either of these do in the snow since i live in the bay area. lol

#3 Stephen

Stephen

GOT MILF?

• 1,151 posts
  • Interests:Tire Smoke and Boobs

Posted 28 February 2012 - 01:16 PM

we're talking 15's right? which tires have you typically gone with?

there's a significant difference in the performance between a semi-r comp street tire, and "performance" tire.

most things in that "performance" tire category are by feel, though there are clearly bad tires. the federals aren't bad (595 family), nor are the nexens. 912's are OK, but meh.

if you want a good performance tire, Hankook Ventus RS3 if you live somewhere primarily dry, toyo R1R if its wet. these are both real street tires though, and their treadlife is pretty low. the toyos are a 140 tread wear rating, how toyo managed to slide a 140 rating on them is beyond most peoples comprehension (140 is needed for use in the SCCA Street Touring class). the R1R's are probably the best all around tire out there. not the best in the wet, not the best in the dry, but they are some of the most consistent in both categories, and the best at doing both decently. they're a wide tire in the 15" range though, 225/50/15. they're also not cheap. toyo wants quite a bit for these (as they do for most of their tires). if you want a semi-r tire and you have a significant amount of rain, its the only tire i suggest though.

the RS3's are a little better treadwear wise, and are currently the top dry tire in the affordable category. they're also a 225/50/15. these are in the just over $100 range for that size.

if 225 is too wide, the Kumho XS comes in second in this category, and is a 205mm tire. its a little less consistent than the RS3, mostly when it gets hotter or colder (so smaller optimal temp range), but its sizing can be a little better. they're about the same price as the RS3's.

if you just want a general "performance" tire, feddy's work. they're a decent tire. the prices are good too.

Posted Image

#4 JoeTheHook

JoeTheHook

I♥1J

• real members
  • 718 posts
  • Interests:Your mother

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:03 PM

Im trying to get the Yokohama S. drives ( check out the tire rack ratings)

http://www.tirerack....ay.jsp?ttid=131

Unless you go into the extreme tire game, which is ok but madd money and no treadwear

http://www.tirerack....ay.jsp?ttid=118
Posted Image

#5 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:12 PM

Recycle used ones from dealerships.

New, I recommend Achilles ATR Sports from tires-easy.com

#6 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I !♥ StockTwins

• real members
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:22 PM

steve i run 16s not that much difference only tires ive run on the 16s was the nexans also only got 8s up front so i usually run 195s on um
Ill look into those R1Rs though
so many options

#7 Stephen

Stephen

GOT MILF?

• 1,151 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

yeah, 16's in a semi R-comp are pretty much 225 across the board i think, can't remember though.

if you do go with a semi-r, be prepared for a drastic difference in grip.

oh, and DZ101 star specs fall into the semi-R category. they're the lowest on the food chain, cost is about the same.

supposedly some people have been able to find them cheaper though, and their price the first year out was less than the close tires in their range. if you can get them cheap they're a good option.

Posted Image

#8 Jason

Jason

FREE CANDY

• Administrators
  • 4,589 posts
  • Interests:your mom
  • Powered By:1JZGTE

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

since youre dealing with snow, get a set of winter wheels and tires. there are compromise tires out there like Conti extreme contact DWS...goodyear tripple tread...theyre good. but theyre still compromises.

from experience: DZ101 and hnk v12 evo are great. FK452 SUCK: soft sidewalls. rt615 are not worth the loot. im testing out some used s-drives now, i like em so far. nexen are meh. hankook has some great budget tires in general.
Virginia may be for Lovers, but Pennsylvania has Intercourse!

It's not like you're drinking Nazi Jew Gas Chamber Ale

#9 CelicaDRIFTER

CelicaDRIFTER

I♥2J

• real members
  • 2,123 posts
  • Interests:stuff

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

I've used Dunlop DZ101's in 15" and 18" sizes. I like'em.
***SPARKLE GARAGE***

R. Rabe Body & Paint
Automotive Plastic Surgeon
www.myspace.com/rrabespl
R. Rabe Body & Paint on Facebook

#10 leon.borden*

leon.borden*

I♥1J

• real members
  • 381 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:25 PM

I run Falken RT615ks up front no matter what. The Neovas are a bit grippier, but the stiffer sidewall of the Azenis can't be beat. Even with a 50 series sidewall (moderately large sidewall), theres NO flex and turn in is fucking stellar. Only complaint is that if you're hotlapping a very technical course with a lot of braking, they will get greasy after 3-4 passes. This has only happened once to me though. As far as the rear goes, junk practice events get junk practice tires. For comps, I run Falken ZE-512s. They last forever, don't chunk, and don't delaminate.
Posted Image

#11 Gseventythree

Gseventythree

serialnine.com

• OG
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 29 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Achilles ATR Sport!! Sticky, Tons of WHITE smoke. .excellent control. . cheap. . dont last too long though (due to the thick white smoke :) )

G.

1998 GS400 street/drift machine. 

www.serialnine.com

G.

#12 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

Back when I had my Drift Tengoku subscription, I noticed that a lot of the MSC Challenge drivers used Federal RS-R, SS595, and Toyo R1-R up front with Achilles ATR Sports or Federal SS595 in the rear. The really serious guys would run RS-R all around.

I have used the Federal RS-Rs up front before and thought they were pretty awesome. Stiff sidewall, lots of grip, and competitively priced. The treadwear was good except one of them wore in an isolated spot on the outside, but I think that was because I was rubbing something. SS595 up front is decent but you will get the occasional understeer if they get too hot or you're not running the right pressure.

Achilles ATR Sports and Federal SS595 are my favorite to run in the rear because they last a decent amount of time, are predictable, and throw up nice clouds of smoke without having to run crazy high pressure. There is a possibility or delamination with 595s, but that can be mitigated if you heat cycle them and/or run them backwards.

I guess anything feels better than dealership throwaways though. LOL

#13 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I !♥ StockTwins

• real members
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:42 AM

Ya i used to run those super sticky dederalk ss595s but they didnt last very long, but that was on my POS old car that i never bother to get aligned and that was probably a large contributing factor.

Thinking about running those falken ze-512 up front, as im not competing ANY time in the forseable future haha, look decent for the price. gonna check out those achilles though

thanks for the inputu so far!

edit* those achilles can be obtained for pretty cheap now i feel like its between the ze-512s and atrs haha

#14 Stephen

Stephen

GOT MILF?

• 1,151 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

get the atrs. 512's are garbage.

Posted Image

#15 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:17 PM

^What he said.

#16 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I !♥ StockTwins

• real members
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

k found some achilles for cheappppp

was totally gonna pull the trigger than saw they offered in 195/45, fawkkk

between 195/50/16 and 195/45 now, on a weak 16x8 =(

#17 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:48 AM

I would go with the 45 series unless you need the extra sidewall to fill in wheel gap/increase "flushness".

#18 Gseventythree

Gseventythree

serialnine.com

• OG
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

Sidenote.

I've NEVER chunked and ATR. . from stone cold to WHITE ROAST for one full lat @ PGP and no chunks.. just no tire left.

G.

1998 GS400 street/drift machine. 

www.serialnine.com

G.

#19 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Same here. The best wearing tire I have ever used.

You know the pink team magician jzx110 mark 2 with 650hp? He uses them on the rear too. There has got to be something to them. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users