S9 rear coilovers for x7

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Barrington_*

Guest_Barrington_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:41 PM

Are the s9 rear coilovers for the x7 cressida actually a 'coilover' or is the spring seperate to the shock (same style as the stock rear suspension).

#2 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I !♥ StockTwins

• real members
  • 1,823 posts
  • Interests:Dudes, Dicks, Derivatives

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:43 PM

They are actually a coilover.......

#3 Guest_Barrington_*

Guest_Barrington_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

ok, but the stock suspension setup is a seperate spring to the shock, so in a stock situation, the shock doesnt take the weight of the car, the spring does, but when you use the serialnine coilover in the rear, because it is a 'coilover', the weight of the car is then put through the coilover, which is fair enough, except that the car is not originally designed to do that. Wouldnt you have to reinforce the top of the strut tower and the bit where the bottom of the coilover bolts to? I just think its abit of a silly way of doing things, especially when the top of the coilover only has one bolt going through the top of the strut tower, as opposed to the usual two or three. In my opinion, wouldnt it be better to go with an aftermarket seperate spring and perch to shock? like it is stock? Or if you wanted to go with a coilover, modifying the top of the strut tower in the car so that it is stronger and can preferrably have two bolt holes atleast, and having a proper top hat on the coilover?
I basically just want to know if anyone has problems with the s9 rear coilovers, not the coilover itself, but how it works with the car, and if the car continues to break when using these coilovers. It just sounds like a stupid design if you dont plan to modify the car itself.

#4 Foompla

Foompla

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1,693 posts
  • Interests:vagina, pussy, cunt, hatchwound, poon, beaver, snapper, muff, pink taco, fish taco, the pink, etc..

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

jesus fucking christ.

yes. you have common fucking sense. Now use some of that reasoning ability and put some more thought into it.

"What's that?"

"Those are the head gaskets you COULD be saving by switching to JZXproject."

*music*

-end jzxproject.com commercial

#5 BudgetVIP

BudgetVIP

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:00 PM

Maybe your internet isn't equipped to go to the actual site and look at the actual product and pictures but I did it for you. Hmm 9 seconds of searching, simply amazing.

http://serialnine.co...t/x7-suspension
Honky Lips 4 LIFE!!!

#6 Guest_Barrington_*

Guest_Barrington_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

I dont fully understand how the diy weld on strut tubes work, where do they weld onto?

#7 Jacob

Jacob

antagonist

• OG
  • 2,085 posts
  • Interests:obsessed with offending people with penis imagery, jokes, and violence.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahabbaba a babbaba babba BSA baba Ana ababa ababbabaa ababbabba

Ok no seriously. stop. Just stop. You'll learn more if you figure it out for yourself.

I like you.

I wanna hurt you.

Wanna go to club, where people wee on each other?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I do.

#8 v-nod

v-nod

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:drifting, rallyXing, hard parking, and such.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:52 PM

Okay, well you don't need to know how the diy weld on strut tubes work (they're meant for the front).

You seem to have very good intuition about how much force the stock suspension and chassis can take so I don't know why you'd think someone would make a product which welds to the stock strut tube in the rear (mainly because there is no tube its just the damn pencil-dick shock...)

So now onto answering your question...

Posted Image
These two beauties right here are the serialnine rear upper coilover perches (1 for each side of the car). And you weld these onto your chassis.

Posted Image
Specifically, you weld those perches onto the flat surface which surrounds the stock shock absorber. By doing this, you enable the weight and stress from the coilover (which you seem to already know is a decent amount) to be distributed and all that jazz so your coilovers can function properly without f'ing up your chassis.

In conclusion, the coilover
Posted Image

mounts in two places. To the rear control arm via that spindle at the bottom which the stock shock also mounts to. And at the top the coilover's adjusters come through the hole into the trunk where you'll place some nuts and a bushing, while the actually weight/load of the rear of the car rests on those upper perches.

All of this functions extremely well and gets the job done. However, there's multiple ways to do anything having the spring seperated from the coilover like stance's kit for the ma60 is another way to go. I'm not too sure what the pro's and cons are between the two.

I hope this helps clear things up.

#9 Guest_DuaxMachine_*

Guest_DuaxMachine_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

Anyone that thinks that a stock shock mount isn't strong enough to take the full weight of the car are seriously uninformed.

When you hit a bump, the shock absorbs way more force than the spring does.
The spring never exerts more than the total force that it can push when fully collapsed.
A shock has to take the same force multiplied by how fast the load is induced in a formula used to figure Kinetic energy, or inertia.
It can easily be 10 times the static load.
Sorry you all skipped taking a physics class in school, it would have helped you a bunch.

#10 Guest_Barrington_*

Guest_Barrington_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2011 - 05:35 AM

V-nod, you answered my question perfectly, really appreciate it!

BudgetVIP, you linked me to something related to the wrong end of the car, good on ya, really helped.....

#11 thejrman

thejrman

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 138 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:29 AM

http://jzxproject.co...opic=3758&st=60
Posted Image

#12 BudgetVIP

BudgetVIP

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

Yeah retard I linked you to the x7 suspension page on their site, open your eyes and scroll through the parts, it's kinda like your search function abilities on here too. Oh wait you don't have any.

Here you go just in case you still can't figure it out.

Posted Image
Honky Lips 4 LIFE!!!

#13 Layzorbeemz

Layzorbeemz

I♥1J

• real members
  • 534 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:58 AM

:|

Not sure if serious..

I've had my s9 coils for about 5 or 6 months now, my only problem is that the strut tubes were threaded with the wrong tolerance so they're super tight on the front coilovers... I've bent about 5 or 6 coilover wrenches because of it.

Other than that, they are stiff as fuck and don't hurt the strut towers or anything.

#14 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 5,005 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium