• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 08:01 AM

I'd like to do something about the stock turbo setup on my X90. The main issue is the wastegate piping on most available/affordable turbo manifolds needs to be modified to fit a RHD vehicle. Let me know what you guys think of my options.

Stock twins rebuilt with steel wheels and increased airflow by Driftmotion?

Used HKS GT2835 (aka GT3071) or GT3037 (aka GT3076) kit off of Yahoo Auctions Japan?

Buy cheap turbo manifold and have wastegate piping modified to fit?

Buy cheap turbo manifold, block off external wastegate pipe and run an internally wastegated turbo?

I plan to run 440cc injectors and a PowerFC. My end goal is just under 400 HP since that's what my Exedy Hyper Single is rated at.

Thanks!

#2 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium
  • Powered By:Dicks

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:31 AM

Steel wheeled twins with more flow would probably be quite nice. Modding wastegate piping is pretty simple though. What are your end goals?

#3 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 09:48 AM

Yeah, probably. It's theoretically the cheapest option and improves the reliability over stock. I won't have to worry about removing the exhaust manifold and possibly stripping studs either. I just hate how complicated the stock parallel twin turbo setup is. It was a b*tch installing my boost controller, and it's harder to notice/locate any possible vacuum, oil, and/or coolant leaks.

I have a friend who owns a shop and he is a skilled welder/fabricator. I have no doubt he could modify the wastegate piping and reinforce an aftermarket turbo manifold for a reasonable price.

I updated the OP. I'd like to get just under 400 HP. 380 sounds like a nice round number.

#4 bigtoepfer

bigtoepfer

I♥Japanese Bitches

• real members
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 04 August 2011 - 04:30 PM

i just recently found out about this steelwheeled ct12 options. And if i upgraded thats the route I'd go. Just because I like the look. Altho the big single cleans up the engine bay alot. I seen a guy awhile back pushing 384whp with 18lbs on the driftmotion twins. Seems decent enough to me.

I'd love my car a shit load more too if it never came with a fucking M series motor. - Trevor

Hopeless Romantics

2ldvp5t.jpg

#5 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I !♥ StockTwins

• real members
  • 1,812 posts
  • Interests:Dudes, Dicks, Derivatives

Posted 05 August 2011 - 01:41 AM

where is this ct12 steel wheel stuff you guys are talkin bout cant find it on DM

#6 BudgetVIP

BudgetVIP

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 04:57 AM

Yeah that sounds like an awesome setup. If I upgrade I would love to go that route cause I like the response of the twins.
Honky Lips 4 LIFE!!!

#7 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:24 AM

where is this ct12 steel wheel stuff you guys are talkin bout cant find it on DM

It's not on the website. You'd have to call them about it.

#8 redbullx83

redbullx83

I♥1J

• real members
  • 654 posts
  • Interests:beer and pizza.

Posted 06 August 2011 - 06:14 PM

Robert Id do gt2835 all the way broski!

#9 Guest_Skitzo_*

Guest_Skitzo_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:50 PM

I have two steel wheel turbos sitting in the garage, waiting to go onto my 90. Just chasing a custom dump pipe. Chose this set up due to the stock look (for the police) and the response.

The key is the dump pipe. If you want to run high boost through the twins, then this needs to be upgraded. The standard one holds too much heat, and is usually the cause of most turbo failures for the twins. Dude here in Perth had custom dump on standard twins (ceramic), pushing 18psi for 3 years, making 340rwhp on his drift car. Recently took the the motor out and the turbos only had minimal shaft play.

I don't know about the Driftmotion ones, being Australian, but steel wheels generally flow around 20psi happily. I'll probably only run 18psi, but i wouldn't of expected anything near 384rwhp. That's a lovely figure.

#10 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:51 AM

Thanks for all the great info so far, guys!

I didn't really think about the dump, Skitzo. Thanks for bringing it up.

It looks like either way I'm gonna need some fab work done to the exhaust, so I might as well go single turbo. Not to mention, having DM rebuild/high flow my twins would probably cost as much or more than their single kit. I'm sure the DM kit is awesome, but kinda pricey for me considering it's not a complete kit and will need fab work (no BOV, intercooler piping, etc...)

I know a lot of folks don't like when drivers use eBay/knockoff parts, especially on a "JDM tyte, yo!" car LOL, but it's the most cost effective and if the cheap turbo blows I can just buy a new one for well... cheap. It'll also give me the opportunity to try out different turbos.

Used kits do go for cheap on Yahoo auctions, but availability and condition can be an issue. I'd hate to get a used HKS kit and there be parts missing or the turbo be blown.

#11 cocobutterz

cocobutterz

I♥1J

• real members
  • 800 posts
  • Interests:Drifting, Beer, Hoohoos, Star Wars, Backpacking, Hoohoos.

Posted 08 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

You can run most stuff you find on eBay just fine, except turbos and for the most part of what i've seen BOV's, and fuel pumps. and venom injectors

get your manifold and shit like that there, and then find a proper holset or hunt for a cheap GT.

Thats cool you feel like you can make a 7m proper. Just do it somewhere else. Around here we call that shit gay.

#12 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 11:20 AM

That does seem like the best route. Go cheap the exhaust parts since they'll need to be modified anyways, then spend a decent amount on the turbo. The turbos I'm looking at aren't exactly cheap though....

My budget for the setup is ~$1500, which should be plenty considering I already have the PFC, injectors, and fuel pump. BTW, I'm using the fuel pump from an R33 GT-R because I've seen a lot of JZX chassis in Japan running them.

#13 Guest_TeckniX_*

Guest_TeckniX_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:01 PM

What about using one of the XSpower kits?
The kit isn't bad and has pretty much most of the stuff you need

http://forum.clubna-...read.php?t=2037

You can always send a message to the XS Power dude and tell him what you need, he's open to making custom kits.

#14 The Chubby Chaser

The Chubby Chaser

I♥1J

• real members
  • 524 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:48 AM

I hadn't thought of using one of their kits. I've heard good and bad about XS stuff. I'll probably end up keeping the damn thing stock til the twins blow. I have no idea how they've lasted this long. I guess keeping the boost low, running a cat, and changing the oil often has it's advantages.

I have an awesome tow rig now, so I'm no longer worried about getting stranded at an event.

#15 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 4,981 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium