#1 Jason

Jason

FREE CANDY

• Administrators
  • 4,526 posts
  • Interests:your mom
  • Powered By:1JZGTE

Posted 04 June 2008 - 01:53 PM

1jz big single manifold came thru lookin good. light, shiny and nice stack o dime welds.

upon closer inspection, i found pinholes in the welds where the runners all meet. it looks like that has all been touched up from the inside. i also noted an area under the turbo flange that appears to be butchered up: not enough heat/penetration and a bubbled weld bead.

also, the 4bolt wastegate flange is for a 50mm wg, which is either too cheap to trust, or too expensive for someone on a budget. i assumed incorrectly that a TiAl 41mm 4bolt wg had the same size flange. i dropped the manifold wastegate and dump pipe off with a trusted welder and a week and $180 later (80 for flanges, 100 for labor and a reducer for the dump), it was reflanged with something i could use in conjuction with the TiAl wg.

upon instalation i found that the stock lower manifold studs are too long to use with this manifold because of the nipple shape of the tips. due to the shape of runners 3 and 4, the lengthy stock studs contact the manifold and it is impossible to get a stock nut on the stud.

lucky for me, i had a set of 3, 10x1.25 exhaust studs without the stock nipple thingy on them, and promptly installed them into the head. i slipped the manifold back over the studs and STILL can not get a nut on the studs. upon closer examination, there is JUST enough room between the runner and flange for a stock exhaust stud to sit. thats SIT as in not spin or slip over the stud or catch a single thread. with the shorter studs, ive pulled the manifold off the head far enough to get the nut in place, then push the manifold back and attempt to catch a thread. so far ive been unsucessful. i got frusterated and went to the computer.

as you can imagine im quite dissapointed that my bargain manifold is turning out to be more than i bargained for.

this thread is not a smear campaign against drift motion in anyway shape or form. im just creating an awareness with all of you, and them, that their shit needs to be redesigned ASAP. hopefully they will be stand up guys like ive heard they are and they will handle it. id have gladly paid $400 for a manifold that fits right the first time, using v-band wastegate flanges, so you can orient your wg however is necessary.
Virginia may be for Lovers, but Pennsylvania has Intercourse!

It's not like you're drinking Nazi Jew Gas Chamber Ale

#2 ameenit

ameenit

I♥1J

• real members
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

you get what you pay for buddy..

what were you expecting when you paid 200 bucks for a manifold that usually run 1000-1500 dollars?

Driftmotion is a great company and they have awesome customer service, but the sad thing is, even though you would gladly pay more for a perfect fitting manifold, 90% of the internet wouldnt.

Ive installed a couple of these manifolds and aside from having to weld on another flange for the wastegate, havent had any issues...

#3 Jason

Jason

FREE CANDY

• Administrators
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 05:33 PM

and i totally agree that you get what you pay for.

its just a quality issue thati figgured i would bring up so they can fix it on the next order.

i got it all on and bolted down. but i had to use an open ended wrench for 5 of the 6 lower bolts. the one was impossible to turn by hand because of the shape of the runner.

again, no big. just wanted to create that awareness.

#4 Jason

Jason

FREE CANDY

• Administrators
  • 4,526 posts

Posted 15 June 2008 - 09:02 PM

ok so after making the adjustments with the 4bolt flange i got everything in place and dammit, the dp and wg interfere. no way around it. im gonna drive it to my buddys shop as is and get this shit sorted out ON the car. hes gonna make the connector pipe for the dp to the exhaust too.

part 2. didnt even cross my mind. the ss dump tube for the oil return line is the wrong length. cut with a supra mid sump in mind, its several inches too long for the cressida front sump. something else i gotta fuck with. damndamndamndamn...

...i hope these guys are payin attention so when they break out with a bolt in kit, its ready to rock.

#5 Bill

Bill

fuck you cressida

• Administrators
  • 4,351 posts
  • Interests:cars are pretty cool I guess.

Posted 16 June 2008 - 02:52 AM

I'll be doing all this r&d too, mine is in the mail, and i'll be filling them in on the cressida perspective. i'm sure aaron will be more than on the ball.

VVT 1JZ X83 ♠ VVT 2JZ S160 ♠ VVT 3UZ S160

#6 BigAaron

BigAaron

driftmotion.com

• New Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Fast turbocharged Toyotas!

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:22 PM

First I would like to say that I am honestly very sorry you got a manifold withh some pinholes in it, and that you were generally unhappy about everything.

But there are a bunch of other things about your post that I really feel like you ARE trying to take a shot at us about.

#1 why are you complaining about having to spend money to have welding done to a kit that was expressly sold as a kit that REQUIRED WELDING? I will send you back $80 for the additional welding required to fix the pinholes in the manifold. The rest would have been required anyway and you knew in advance.

#2 you never called me and said, "hey Aaron, there's some pin holes in my manifold, can I get a replacement?". I would have promptly apologized and offered to not only send you a replacement manifold immediately, I would have paid the shipping for you to return your defective one.

#3 I know I told you that the wastegate flange on the manifold needed to be cut off and the dump tube repositioned, so why are you bothered about having to weld a flange on the manifold? Did you tell me the dimensions of your wastegate flange and ask what flange the manifold came withh?

#4 the kit you bought is not one of the completed kits I have been working on, and I know I made that clear.

#5 the installation requiring 3 or 4 shorter lower studs is something that ALL 1jz tubular stainless manifolds require, not some problem just withh the manifold we supplied you withh.

#6 you had someone weld a bunch of stuff withhout mocking it up on the the car, and it didn't fit. That's not something you should be all mad at us about in this thread.

It sounds like most of the issues you are bothered about were either because the shop doing the work charged you more then you thought they should, or because proper installation was not performed because of inexperience and not asking questions and taking measurements before firing up the mig welder. These kits are not something you should try to install a day before a race or even in one weekend. I don't want to come off as unsympathetic, because I do understand where you are coming from and I am sorry it was a pita for you to get it installed. I spend SO MUCH time putting the kits together at this $1500 price point. No mention was made of the quality of the hoses and flanges or how nice the turbo is all polished and ceramic coated withh name brand Garrett internals. I am not selling these as the best turbo kit ever made, I am selling them as the best turbo kit for the money. I will post pics of the new setup I am installing on a car in our shop this week, and I am putting the same manifold kit on my own car too.

#7 Jason

Jason

FREE CANDY

• Administrators
  • 4,526 posts