Photo

MX83/89-92 Cressida 1/2JZ Swap Guide...in the works..

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 lazybummm

lazybummm

I♥5M

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 10:13 PM

A few months ago, I learned about the cressida's potential. I've known about the car for many years, but never really thought about what it could become. So I am gonna start picking up my first Cressida Shell, and I am still deciding on whether to get the 1JZGTE or 2JZGTE. As I started reading this forum, there are LOTS of good information, but very scattered, so I wanted to put together one How-To Thread, unless of course there is a lot of people who oppose this. I will start withh my limited knowledge, and I would like to create a parts list both for the guide and for my own references purposes.

Engine(info Below copied from http://forums.celica...ead.php?t=21987 ):

Chassis code key: chassis code / sump orientation(front or mid) / TT, T, NA / Fan type / stock rated horsepower if known / notes
example: JZX90 / front / TT / hydro|mech / 300 / JDM|USDM|etc

1JZ:
JZA70 Supra / mid / TT / hydro / 280 [JDM MK3]
JZX81-B Chaser / front / TT / hydro / 280? / JDM
Soarer / mid / TT / hydro / ??? / JDM
JZX81-A Mark II / front / TT? / hydro / ??? / JDM
JZX81-C Cresta / front / TT? / hydro / ??? / JDM

2JZ:
JZA80 Supra / mid / TT / mech / 320 [USDM Mk4]
Aristo / front / TT / hydro / ??? / JDM
JZA80 JDM Supra / mid / TT / mech / 280? / JDM

So if you want easy 1jz, look for chaser, Mark II or Cresta
If you want easy 2jz look for Aristo, reasoning below

For MX83, Front oil sump is required. Both engines are bolt-in but require new motor mounts (1jz and 2jz motor mounts respectively?)

Transmission: Most engine JDM engine/tranny sets come withh Auto, you'll pay a premium for the manual transmission. It seems that canadian importers have the most reasonable prices.

Two Popular Manual Transmission Swaps:

W58 - Came on non turbo MKIII Supras, SC300,
R154 - Turbo MKIII Supras, basically any 5speed tranny from a turbo 1jz/2jz/7m

For both of these transmission a R154 to 1JZ bellhousing is required. The bell housing will work for both 1jz and 2jz. Of course the R154 that came withh 1jz/2jz you don't need to do anything.

If a R154 is bought from a MKIII turbo Supra, the 7mgte clutch will work, and JZ clutch will of course work as well, but you will need a jz flywheel.

Does the rear end or drive shaft need to be replaced withh the r154/2jz

What are some other things I should include in this list? Any help appreciated.

Updated: July 20, 2007

#2 Gseventythree

Gseventythree

serialnine.com

• OG
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:58 AM

The best R154/JZ clutch/flywheel combos can be found on Yahoo Japan. . Cuz in Japan EVERY 1J/R154 clutch is the same (JZA70/JZZ30/JZX81/JZX90/JZX100) They trade hands for around $400 -$1000 decent Used Brand name clutch .. I've seen ORC twin's (withh meat left) go for as low as $430. . Get some new discs and you're set. . The good thing about those is that you get both the clutch and flywheel, and the combos usually weigh around 30lbs TOTAL. . For under a grand, HKS, ORC, Exedy, OS GIKEN etc. all on there. . Instead of wasting $$ on like a Stock JZ flywheel/XTD or whatever american stuff. .

G.

1998 GS400 street/drift machine. 

www.serialnine.com

G.

#3 aphxero

aphxero

I♥2J

• OG
  • 4,281 posts
  • Interests:drift, toyota

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:27 AM

Don't forget wiring guide. Or should I write that?

#4 lazybummm

lazybummm

I♥5M

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

Don't forget wiring guide. Or should I write that?

Please do, wiring diagrams look like greek to me...I am no EE, and I slept through physics :P

#5 N.O. Drifter

N.O. Drifter

I♥1J

• real members
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:auto mechanics

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

i look at it like this, if you can hook up a vcr or replace bad speakers o na car, then you can wire up any engine. wiring diagram of power and the essentials is all that is needed.

-Carl

#6 Gseventythree

Gseventythree

serialnine.com

• OG
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 12:28 PM

Fuckin can SOMEBODY please get JZX90 body connector diagrams In english. . I can post up the ECU pinouts . . But that is not that useful. . . . I've used 2 JZX90 motors now and id kinda like to know what the wires do lol. . If all else fails ill have to trace the fuckers to where they go cuz i have the complete X90 harness in my X7.

G.

www.serialnine.com

G.

#7 N.O. Drifter

N.O. Drifter

I♥1J

• real members
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:auto mechanics

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:08 PM

what would the body harness do other than allow power to the ecu and grounds and power to things like dash and a/c shit, but wouldn't you just need ign swithch power to ecu power and then it would run. i know older engines like sr20det engines can be wired this way, not sure about the newer jz engines in x90 cars.

but usually that is all that is required. power to ecu powers the rest of the harness if it is connected to the battery.

-Carl

#8 jaime.g

jaime.g

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:drifting

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:29 PM

toyota wiring isn't as easy as an s chassis nissan swap

#9 Gseventythree

Gseventythree

serialnine.com

• OG
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 06:20 PM

what would the body harness do other than allow power to the ecu and grounds and power to things like dash and a/c shit, but wouldn't you just need ign swithch power to ecu power and then it would run. i know older engines like sr20det engines can be wired this way, not sure about the newer jz engines in x90 cars.

but usually that is all that is required. power to ecu powers the rest of the harness if it is connected to the battery.

Knowledge is power man. . The more info you have the better you can do things. . If you wanna ghetto rig two harnesses together and splice wires to random places thats cool. . . and doing same gen USDM-USDM wiring IS NOT the same as updating or backdating from diff Gen JDM-USDM-CDM harnesses (ya canadian are slightly different) . . . . I like to make shit as good as, or better than stock. . That means repinned stock connectors and everything clips into stock locations. . . Nothing worse than trying to trace electrical problems withh hackjob wiring. . Not to mention that throughout the years TOYOTA decided to change the colors of all the fuckin wiring. .

G.

www.serialnine.com

G.

#10 brian

brian

I♥1J VVT-i

• Root Admin
  • 4,108 posts