What gear oil is best for R154?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
52 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_OrlandoGTE11211_*

Guest_OrlandoGTE11211_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

Soon I'm going to be changing up my clutch and was curious to what fluid everyone prefers in their r154,I seen red line on DM but I figured I'd ask here before I order anything.

#2 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 6562 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium
  • Powered By:Dicks

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:33 PM

I wanna say 80w-90 is what it calls, for but honestly can't remember. I do know it calls for 3.2 qts
Maybe it's a cultural thing? I mean, we saw the British coming. India, they did not.

#3 bwcress

bwcress

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1187 posts

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

I run redline mt90 thats shit is the beezkneez

#4 Guest_OrlandoGTE11211_*

Guest_OrlandoGTE11211_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:30 PM

Did the redline make a big difference from what was in there before? And good looks on the quarts because I had no idea how much it takes,so I need to get at least 4 Qts.Wouldn't hurt to have left overs.

#5 Guest_Mitto_*

Guest_Mitto_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:08 AM

Redline and redline only.....

Once I rebuild my R154 thats whats going in mine.

#6 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6639 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:18 AM

at work we use redline shock proof. holy balls this stuff is awesome. it's opaque and turqoise in color and STICKS to everything. you'd probably be able to get away with the standard 80w90 or 75w90 for daily street use but i'd switch to that if i drifted or road raced my car. i've seen firsthand the benefits of using it in our webster and hewland transmissions.

My friend that lives in US showed me CraigsList while we search for my Cressida. You find lots of odd things on that site. Lots of fat US girls looking for a free ride from black basketball type American man.

#7 Guest_swim_*

Guest_swim_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:59 AM

^
Posted Image

D:

#8 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6639 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:18 AM

we use the lightweight. that looks like superlight which i have no experience with. i've torn down or watched several gearboxes being town down that have run it hard under race conditions and high input shaft rpms for hours and they always wipe away clean with a shop towel. no residue ever, and no signs of burning or loss of viscosity. i can take pics next time im inside one of the boxes before during and after running through the parts washer.

My friend that lives in US showed me CraigsList while we search for my Cressida. You find lots of odd things on that site. Lots of fat US girls looking for a free ride from black basketball type American man.

#9 Guest_swim_*

Guest_swim_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:09 AM

huh. I've just heard that lightweight and heavyweight shockproof can gunk up like that when used for extended periods of time in roadgoing gearboxes

on track cars and the like where the transmissions are being constantly being rebuilt and cleaned out, it's great, but supposedly in street cars you stand a chance of the pictured stuff happening. fuck if I know, though.

#10 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6639 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:18 AM

we use rotary engines in our race cars. unlike a lot of the other piston engined cars i've worked around (formula enterprise and atlantic) they don't require rebuilding that often unless the driver is hard on them. our shop cars get driven for an average of 12-18 hours a week (if you added up the time my miata is being driven on the road it's probably about the same if not less) and spend a lot of time just sitting between sessions or on off days. i'd say that is pretty close to the way i drive my miata (not a lot of power, rev the piss out of it at every opportunity). i am going to run this stuff in my transmission the next time i have a chance and i will let you know how it does on the street.

i'll probably end up leaving it in there for at least 6 months and i'll check it out after.

im not arguing, just sharing personal firsthand experience.

#11 Guest_Lofty_*

Guest_Lofty_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:44 AM

I use Syncromesh in my drag car. Has anyone tried it on our transmissions? AFAIK it's GL4 and GL5 compliant.
Either that or Redline anything, can't really go wrong with it. I mix redline heavyweight MTL and syncromesh on my car, but I've got no idea about w58/r154s.

#12 DiscoShit

DiscoShit

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1186 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

i ran lightweight shock proof in my mr2 e153 and my cressida r154 and it was great on both.

#13 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 6562 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium