• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I♥5M

• real members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:22 PM

I started an X73 build a few years ago but scrapped it in favor of an MX83.  I have this diff left over.  I'm not planning to ever use it, hence the sale.  The invoice from the shop will be included with the diff.

It has:

Brand new 3.73 ring and pinion  $200

Overhaul kit (using OEM parts)   $214

OEM axle seals  $59

Weir performance MAXGRIP LSD kit   $190.00

Filled with redline MT-90  $32

The labor cost of the overhaul was $380.  I don't consider the labor cost as a factor in selling this, I just want to let you guys know that a professional assembled this, not my dumbass. Note that friction modifier has been added.  If you're lucky enough to find one of these at a yard, it's only $100 or so in my neck of the woods.  eBay is more expensive. 

I can ship freight in the lower 48 for under $100, or you can pick up locally if you're near the Seattle area.  I will provide you with a tracking number.

I'm fairly lenient on price.  PM me an offer if you're interested.

eqOyUt1.jpg

c0H2SCO.jpg

PMKzkAT.jpg

#2 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I ♥ 1.5J

• real members
  • 2568 posts
  • Interests:Dudes, Dicks, Derivatives

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:56 PM

No solid pinion spacer?

why do we spend our time and money on shitty cars that cant love us back?

#3 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I♥5M

• real members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:56 PM

I'm going to be 100% honest with you, I'm not sure whether it has it or not.  The invoice states "one int. O/H kit".  I would be surprised if the guy who got the rebuild went to all that effort and didn't get the spacer.  Even if the sad OEM sleeve is in there, it is a new part.  I have no idea how long it would last under high power... probably not too long.  Nonetheless, if people are genuinely interested, I can crack it open and let them know.

#4 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 6526 posts
  • Interests:Your mother

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:27 PM

$380 for labor...........

Man, I don't charge enough !

Only charging $100 to set one up.

No wonder I can't afford to put my car together.

Prefixes for 'Gordo'

口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

#5 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I♥5M

• real members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:46 PM

In my area, you can't find a shop that will charge less than $400 to set up a diff.  You could probably shadetree that shit for $200 in my area and people would consider that really cheap. 

There is a statement at the bottom of the invoice under accessories that states:  "Pd 2-20-12 b/c 051001-1" 

No clue what that means. Googling "051001-1" turns up nothing.

#6 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 6526 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

It's Gear Setter's Code for "Wish I could do one of these every week, I could afford to go to the Super Ball every year."

Honestly, I have no idea, I'd say 'Pd' stands for pinion depth.

Prefixes for 'Gordo'

口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

#7 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I♥5M

• real members
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:10 PM

Got a bite, but was offered $200.  Uhhh... lol, no.  The Maxgrip LSD kit by itself is $200. 

If you think even $400 is expensive for a professionally fully rebuilt diff with performance parts in it, maybe you should stick to Hondas.

And I don't care if there are cheaper diffs for $200 near you, and I don't care that your buddy can set up a diff. 

You wouldn't be asking what my bottom dollar was if you didn't need this thing.

I'm not even mad though.

Laughed pretty hard at "well, the money's burning a hole in my pocket, just get back to me anytime to get that 200 bucks man!"

Nah, I'm good.

#8 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I ♥ 1.5J

• real members
  • 2568 posts
  • Interests:Dudes, Dicks, Derivatives

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:39 PM

400 bucks is decent. Did you forgot who the majority of cressida owners are thought?

Almost tempting (would be inclined if there was a spcaer in it) specially since you are close

why do we spend our time and money on shitty cars that cant love us back?

#9 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I♥5M

• real members
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 04:19 PM

Real talk, I overpaid for this diff (don't ask me by how much).  I told the dude I would take a couple hundred dollar loss on it in order to sell it.

Yes, most Cressida owners are poor cunts, myself included.  Most don't have the patience to piece more expensive parts together over a longer period, they want their shit together yesterday, again myself included.

I can't confirm or deny if there is a pinion spacer in it.  Obviously because it's around the pinion shaft and obscured from view, I don't really have a way to identify whether the diff has it unless I take it apart. 

If you're interested, I'm down to meet you halfway travel-wise if you're not too far.

#10 LuxurySlider

LuxurySlider

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 January 2017 - 07:10 PM

I'm not a poor cunt and all's you had to say was no. It's not my fault you paid $800 for a diff you can't use, and expect to get $5-600 out of it.

I just know it's gonna blow up and there's no point in spending that much to have it break. Was just trying to help you since you didn't have anyone interested

and I figured you would rather have some extra cash than an extra diff. Ill give you $350 lol

#11 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I♥5M

• real members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

I am not blaming you at all for my decision to spend $800 on a diff, which is why I said I'm willing to take a several hundred dollar loss on it (up to a point). 

My buddy was going to try and buy an R154 from this guy.  The guy had it listed for $1200.  My buddy calls him and says

"Hey man, since that R154's been on Craigslist for a week and no one's buying it, I can give you $400 for it!"

This older Gordo-esque guy told him to fuck off and stop wasting his time.  I'm a little more patient than that guy though.

Lowballing somebody isn't really helping them out, just sayin.

You're definitely closer with the $350 offer, but not quite there.

#12 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 6526 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:30 PM

This older Gordo-esque guy told him to fuck off and stop wasting his time.  I'm a little more patient than that guy though.

LoLz..........

Prefixes for 'Gordo'

口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

#13 battleaxe

battleaxe

I♥1J

• real members
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:33 AM

theres a difference between a person telling you how much they will give you, and asking, will you take this much. then its up to you to laugh or say no thank you.

those x7/supra diffs are getting harder to find and a 3.7 is the "rarest" of the ratios.  If i was you, id post it up on a supra forum.  celicasupra.com has a few guys looking for weir parts and diffs.  the supra crowd is hit or miss, but infinitely better than x7 guys.  some idiot bought that supra licence plate delete for 700ish bucks, an absolutely useless and dumb looking part, for example.  I personally wouldnt spend that much, but after buying new bearings from toyota and the shit i went through with the x8 diff, on a kaaz diff i had sitting for like 4 years, that diff cost me over 1500 bucks (overtime) coulda just slapped it together but i didnt want to through my 1000 dollar kaaz in the toilet.  so i understand why you did this for your old car, just said its a weir kit thats not aggressive enough, more for a autox type person. and a diff like this would be good for a sub 300ftlb motor

#14 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I♥5M

• real members
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:30 PM

Ok, thanks for the advice on the supra forum.  Just out of curiosity, since a ton of Toyotas of this era use IRS 8 inch diffs, what would be their limiting factor?  I have a coworker who had a 900 hp mkiii with a 2j in it and his diff was rebuilt with just a stiffer spring, a spacer and weir plates.  He only drove it on the street, and he said it held up to the abuse for years until right before he sold it when it started to grind.  I would figure how easy the rear end breaks would determine how long the diff lasted.  If you have stock tires on the back, of course it's going to be easy on the diff because the tires have less contact and will break much easier.  But if you have super sticky big tires and beat the piss out of it, I figure it would blow up sooner. Anyway, I'll throw an ad up on celicasupra.com.  Thanks again.

#15 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 6526 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:08 AM

Can't answer that since I don't know how bad your coworker fucked it up.

Did he actually do it right, or the typical 'that's close enough' hack job ?

Did he use a solid pinion spacer  ?

Quake over on SupraForums has been running an 8" behind 800 hp for years.

At some point, even the strongest diff fail due to fatigue. You can only hit a set of gears so many times, and they will eventually fail.

But I have never heard of an 8" breaking stub shafts, it the outer axles like the 7.5s do.

Toyota did produce an 8" housing for the X7, but they are very rare, and cost a premium when the pop up in Japan.

Paypal me a dollar, and I will post a picture of one.......

Prefixes for 'Gordo'

口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

#16 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I♥5M

• real members
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:00 PM

Hmm, interesting.  Yes, the G series are rare as shit and of course a premium.  I have seen pictures.  I can tell you're a paypal savage.  If someone who is unaware of this diff actually wants to see it, paypal Gordo one american dollar to cure your own lack of knowledge and to progress his 7m build. 

Anyhow, yes, my coworker had damn near 100K into that supra.  I forgot what brand it was, but he had absurd top of the line everything, all over the car.  Titanium parts on everything.  Ridiculous amounts of custom machine work.  I have never known him to half-ass or hack anything.  He told me he wanted that diff to be as streetable as possible, so he didn't throw a kaaz or OS Giken into it. He welded the intake manifold for Stu's record-setting supra on stock twins over on the supra forum.

My eyebrows went up when he told me his diff was stock aside from the Weir pinion spacer and plates. 

#17 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I♥5M

• real members
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 February 2017 - 06:59 PM

SOOOOLLLLD!  Got $700 for it, I'm more than happy with that.

Sold it on celicasupra.com within 20 minutes of putting the ad up, shit was cash.

Battleaxe, if you're ever in Seattle, I'll buy you a beer.

#18 battleaxe

battleaxe

I♥1J

• real members
  • 532 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 06:11 PM

sick as.

those fucking CS guys are mental i swear.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users