IAT Sensors standalone

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa

I ♥ 1.5JZ + Holset

• Administrators
  • 1832 posts
  • Interests:I'm old, have kids, and my Cressida only comes out to play every couple years.
  • Powered By:1.5JZ

Posted 03 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'm looking for an open-element IAT sensor that will fit in place of the stock JZ IAT sensor. I don't know why the dummies at Toyota used a closed element IAT, but my intake mani heat soaks if I sit and idle and the IAT heat soaks too showing upwards of 70C as my intake air temp when I'm sure it's nowhere near there. Then takes a while of driving for the IATs to come down to a reasonable value. It kinda helps on a boosted car to have fast response on something like IAT since at higher boost levels high intake temps can become a problem pretty quickly.

"JZXP - we get death threats" -Rayray
-1987 AE86 Corolla with 20 valve swap SOLD
-1985 MX73 Cressida 1.5JZ Holset HX35 & MS3X
Toysport and 935 Motorsports suck. Don't buy from either.

#2 Foompla

Foompla

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1772 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

70C wtf? check out nissan's brah.

anything with a map sensor

"What's that?"

"Those are the head gaskets you COULD be saving by switching to JZXproject."

*music*

-end jzxproject.com commercial

#3 Guest_gameface_*

Guest_gameface_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

I have the same problem with a gm iat sensor(open element) although probably not the same extent, once I start driving it clears up. This is also with water to air intercooler where even at idle the air should be getting cooled seeing how its constantly circulated with fan running on the heat exchanger. I don't really like the gm iat but haven't experimented with others either. I have doubts about its reaction time.

I set MAT correction to start at 55c something like 15% at 70c figured also helps during extended abuse on the engine when iat will really pick up also. Pre det no thx.

#4 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 6606 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium
  • Powered By:Dicks

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

Get bung and weld in charge piping right after intercooler?

I've been wondering how the stock ecus work with this for awhile now. I monitor that shit with the emanage and on my non vvti shit temp quickly shoots sky high. With my vvti shit the iAT is in the maf and the temp is pretty consistent with what ambient temp is. I know that after being compressed and ran through heatsoaked piping it isn't the same as the ambient temp and I also know that on the non vvti setup it isn't 200+ degrees either. Since I'll probably be strictly vvti here shortly I've been thinking of using the MaF in blow through fashion since I'm mostly fueling by pressure anyway and this way I'll get a correct-ish reading. Guess I can log timing changes as well.

Let us know what you go with.
Maybe it's a cultural thing? I mean, we saw the British coming. India, they did not.

#5 JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa

I ♥ 1.5JZ + Holset

• Administrators
  • 1832 posts
  • Interests:I'm old, have kids, and my Cressida only comes out to play every couple years.

Posted 05 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'm likely going to go with a welded bung in the IC piping just before the TB and usd a GM open element sensor from an old 80s/90s Buick, Pontiac or Chevy. Gotta get this sorted before I dyno because I don't trust the stock IAT. On most of my data logs it's reading lower temp under boost doing WOT pulls than at low load cruise on the highway, and that's lower than idle air temps by like 20 degrees. I assume since the sensor is getting less manifold heat soak and actually seeing enough air to effectively read at WOT.

#6 JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa

I ♥ 1.5JZ + Holset

• Administrators
  • 1832 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:54 AM

I got a GM open-element IAT and aluminum bung from DIYAutotune. I'm going to disconnect the stock intake manifold temp sensor (fucking thing doesn't measure actual IATs for shit), and run the GM sensor in my intake piping before the TB.

To show how bad it really is, driving around with the ambient temp at -2 degrees C (the car fucking loves this weather) the stock IAT reads around 25-30 degrees C. At idle in the same weather, around 50 degrees C...

#7 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 6606 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium
  • Powered By:Dicks

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:27 PM

Move to jz/uz tech section? Let us know the difference on the temps. I've been thinking about this myself lately, how my emanage logs would be damn near all the same high ass temp catching heat soak from the engine and how IAT corrections would be fairly inaccurate. Been thinking of doing blow through maf to change this myself.
Maybe it's a cultural thing? I mean, we saw the British coming. India, they did not.

#8 JoeTheHook

JoeTheHook

I♥1J

• real members
  • 719 posts
  • Interests:Your mother

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Im interested also post up results
Posted Image

#9 Guest_FrozenChosin_*

Guest_FrozenChosin_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

If the 1J has a CSI [Cold Start Injector] you can pull it and make a plate out of something that's resistant to temp change [like phenolic resin] and mount the sensor in that. Should slow down heat soak. Just another option.

#10 JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa

I ♥ 1.5JZ + Holset

• Administrators
  • 1832 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:26 PM

^ JZs do not have cold-start injectors.

The stock sensor is a closed element, so the entire brass cap heats/cools too slowly to give an accurate real-time reading, especially doing pulls when your intake air temp might go from 50F to 150F in a matter of a few seconds. The thermistor in the stock sensor is also not thermally isolated from the mounting plug/body. The GM sensor I got uses an open-element, so the thermistor sits in the middle of a plastic cage, not really hard mounted to anything thermally conductive (other than the wires that run to it), so it will give a lot more accurate reading of real-time intake air temp.

Open element
Posted Image

closed element crap
Posted Image

#11 JoeTheHook

JoeTheHook

I♥1J

• real members
  • 719 posts
  • Interests:Your mother

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

I'm prob going to end up welding a bung in front of the tb. But with stock ecu? Gm reads the same voltage?
Posted Image

#12 JimmyHoffa

JimmyHoffa

I ♥ 1.5JZ + Holset

• Administrators
  • 1832 posts