swim

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1486 posts
  • Interests:dying & being dead

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:22 PM

hey fuckers,

X5A8VTi.jpg

what the shit is the solenoid on the pinion housing? is it like the solenoid on the X8 power steering that I forget what it does?

I fucked the dog and took motoiq's word for granted and ordered the a similar steering rack to the camry rack that one of the drift FRS cars uses "because it bolts up". Spoiler alert: it doesn't. Once I actually got the rack and measured it's obviously going to need to be modded to make it work, but the UCF30 LS430 rack appears to be the correct mounting length. I'm torn between making the avalon rack I ordered fit, or exchanging it for an LS430 rack. Anyone know what that little shitfucker is supposed to do, and how hard it'd be to hook up?

It had been two weeks since the 7M had finally locked up in his parent’s driveway. Jason lit a fire in the Venture’s 3400 on the way to work. He had to get there. He had to get to Final Bout2, somehow. Clearly, the Cressida wasn’t going to cut it. He was certain of that. He just didn’t want those cretins to be right. He didn’t want to be a Johnnycomelately. They didn’t need to know though. He could keep this under his hat. -- Crab Spirits

#2 swim

swim

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

it's totally progressive power steering. shit thread, OP sucks.

still, idk if I should just go with the PPS rack that fits or the vanilla rack that needs mods to fit. does a PPS rack with the solenoid unhooked suck?

It had been two weeks since the 7M had finally locked up in his parent’s driveway. Jason lit a fire in the Venture’s 3400 on the way to work. He had to get there. He had to get to Final Bout2, somehow. Clearly, the Cressida wasn’t going to cut it. He was certain of that. He just didn’t want those cretins to be right. He didn’t want to be a Johnnycomelately. They didn’t need to know though. He could keep this under his hat. -- Crab Spirits

#3 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6825 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

solenoid unhooked means max assist at all times?

My friend that lives in US showed me CraigsList while we search for my Cressida. You find lots of odd things on that site. Lots of fat US girls looking for a free ride from black basketball type American man.

#4 swim

swim

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:46 PM

pretty sure the solenoid resting is minimum assist, and the controller uses PWM to energize it and add assist at low speeds.

I guess I need an arduino to control this thing based on speed, steering angle, and a smartphone app

#5 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6825 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

so then it's nothing like the x8 where unplugged is max and you can wire in a rheostat in place of the computer to change it on the fly

My friend that lives in US showed me CraigsList while we search for my Cressida. You find lots of odd things on that site. Lots of fat US girls looking for a free ride from black basketball type American man.

#6 swim

swim

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:02 PM

I mean who knows, maybe I'm high. I have no idea.

#7 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6825 posts

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

im definitely:

http://jzxproject.co...?showtopic=3051

Yeah they go full blast when unplugged. Which ends up having no feel and slowing it down when you transfer. I'm sure we've all dealt with it.

#8 aphxero

aphxero

I♥2J

• OG
  • 4867 posts
  • Interests:drift, toyota

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:39 AM

haha I was about to post a similar response

#9 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6825 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:25 AM

a knob would be a cool looking addition to the inside of your racecar, especially with a piece of tape labeled "steering"

#10 swim

swim

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:06 AM

aem_12position_trim_pot.jpg

more like a trim pot am i rite? 

#11 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6825 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:37 AM

yuuup

#12 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 7047 posts
  • Interests:Your mother

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:43 AM

That is most likely a low current pot also.

Let me know when you let the magic smoke out of it.

Prefixes for 'Gordo'

口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

#13 swim

swim

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1486 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

I'm talking about using a trim pot to select maps for a PWM output on AEM or megasquirt, so I'd be letting the magic smoke out of the ECU, not the pot.

#14 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6825 posts

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

all this talk about magic smoke and being high and none of us live in WA or CO.

#15 aphxero

aphxero

I♥2J

• OG
  • 4867 posts
  • Interests:drift, toyota

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:44 AM

Dont forget oregon!

Srsly though, the pps solenoid requires some pretty serious juice like 15W. You could repurpose a fuel dropping resistor and trim from there. Every setup is gonna feel different too so you've just gotta play with it.

If you wanted to get fancy you could use a pwm output from your standalone to park it at different levels for different conditions. This would also require a GPS speed signal as a refence since in drifting wheel speed means fuck all.

Yep.

#16 Austin

Austin

Avernier

• real members
  • 2866 posts
  • Interests:cars. my dog. my cat. straightedge.

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:28 PM

Build mounts for s13 rack. Done. Thats my solution to everything

1986 KA-T AE86 Corolla coupe: For sale for ever maybe?
1977 Datsun 280Z: 1.5jz aem v2 and holset.

Cressida's are for bandwagoners, real drifters drive pignose s13's with rb20's and xxr's.

RIVALHOUSEGARAGE.COM

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users