• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

I♥1J

• real members
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 March 2018 - 09:15 PM

So i have my 1.5 jz running and idling\ revving good.

(rebuilt 2jzge bottom end,refreshed 1jzvvti head with aftermarket turbo and manifold)

but its running to rich and carbon fouling the plugs.

I was hoping to make this setup run on stock jzx100 ecu ect.. since i only want high 300's low 400's horsepower wise.

but ive talked to a few people and the jzx100 ecu isnt going to allow it under boost/load and that it will lean out and cause problems.

So my next step in this quest is that i was going to get a 2jzgte vvti ecu and just use the stock jzx100 harness by matching pinouts and try run that with side feed 440's.

has anyone done anything like this? any pro tips? would everything work in unison like TPS etc? 

Or is this me just trying to take the cheap route like always and i should just get a standalone. 

#2 Jacob

Jacob

All the things

• OG
  • 2380 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 03:38 AM

Stock Toyota ecus are better than standalones within their power range, which is within most anyone dollar range and transmission limits.

It's almost as expensive in dollars/effort.

I'd rather a blitz tuned jdm 6spd 2jzgte ecu over most anything else.

There are a lot of "na-TT" tech write ups out there.
No.

#3 Demesio

Demesio

I♥VTEC

• real members
  • 1453 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 05:55 AM

post pics of your disaster so i can see your intake setup.

#4 WhoreMouth_Jr

WhoreMouth_Jr

I ♥ 1.5J

• real members
  • 2906 posts
  • Interests:Dudes, Dicks, Derivatives

Posted 21 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

I'm pretty sure that guy Jeff (jzsjeff on IG) in Oregon was running a jzx100 ecu. 
He was running a VVTI NA-t 2j which is kinda sorta basically what you have.  I think he made pretty good power 430@18 or 19 with only an safc if I remember correctly.  But I think his torque was a little low: 330.  Word on the street is that it was slower off the line than a stock vvti1j.

There are tons of dudes out there running small singles on stock ecus but I can only really recall most of them running non-vvti.  If it were me I would just go stand alone, but like you said that ain't always budget friendly unless you have a solid dude near you that does megajizz.  I would want to be able to exploit any potential advantage as possible. (Honestly biggest regret is not going vvti) I'd say my ECU is just as reliable and even safer (fail safes on fail safes) than a stock ECU.  But what do I know I wasn't able to keep my car in 1 piece for more than a couple weeks at a time.

I got 99 problems but not one of them is my engine or management hah.

why do we spend our time and money on shitty cars that cant love us back?

#5 battleaxe

battleaxe

I♥1J

• real members
  • 908 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:34 AM

Vvti head and manifold would be top feed tho? I didn't know vvti heads went on non vvti blocks? I learned a new! Then all the jz bottom ends are the same within family 1j same and then 2j same?

Toyota ECUs are fine so long as u take out the boost and fuel cuts and there's no mystery tune on the computer to fuck with you as you try to tune

#6 Demesio

Demesio

I♥VTEC

• real members
  • 1453 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 01:47 PM

The deck heights are different... they literately got a 2jz block and machined off like 1/2 inch (in laymen's terms)

mafs are picky, just close off your air filter and it should help quite a bit.

#7 Andrew

Andrew

I♥1J

• real members
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 10:58 PM

Jacob: Exactly my argument, i want to keep stock ecu because i'm not trying to get crazy power just have fun and "reliability".

Demesio: I just have open Compressor at the moment, but i have a janky 3in intercooler pipe with a MAF and filter on it.  

Whoremouth:  I wonder if the guy with the na-t vvti 2jz had stock headgasket. hmmmmm maybe all i need is a SAFC. I know people make 400 on stock vvti 2js with only single conversions but vvti 2j's have 440's and map sensors 

haha thats what i want, at least you have a solid engine and management. 

I just want to drive this damn thing and stop working on it... im just scared this jzx100 ecu is going to blow my freshly built motor and ill just be out of money.

Thinking i should make the vvti 2jzgte ecu work with the stock map sensor and try and replace my top feed 370's with side feed 440's.

or just standalone this stupid thing, Link? AEM? gahhhh out of budget, out of time, out of patience. Im blaming everything on the stupid hoonigan sticker on my tool box.

39141556440_03526aae0b_z.jpgUntitled by profilebmx18, on Flickr

40056899565_b5c98019ef_z.jpgUntitled by profilebmx18, on Flickr

#8 battleaxe

battleaxe

I♥1J

• real members
  • 908 posts

Posted 24 March 2018 - 10:48 AM

standalone would fix all your problems.

regardless of what you do, you need to get it tuned. a proper tuner would cycle your car properly to make sure the afr's and knock are all in check. if theyre good, rev by rev, you can then push it. i would get some proper top feed injectors, look into the bosch ones, theyre cheap and plentiful.  downgrading to sidefeed is just stupid. nickel and dimeing is fine for some stuff, but get a proper computer and then you wont be limited to your mix matched setup. with a nice ecu you can cobble whatever parts you want for cheap and then alter the settings, instead of hoping the oem ecu knows what bullshit you did.  if you had a stock setup that isnt mix matched, go oem. its simple and works. and the safc will correct it enough to have a functioning motor.

#9 Kyle

Kyle

1jz/holset whore

• real members
  • 6620 posts
  • Interests:speed parts made by chinese children and jz powered lithium