Wizard People, Dear Reader

• Please log in to reply
315 replies to this topic

#1 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 7035 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:32 PM

I decided since I am spending a lot more time in/on/under the car I should start a fucking build thread. Everybody else has one.

I bought this car in Nov. 2007 running and driving (after a new radiator) with shitty paint and used it as a daily until summer rolled around and the HG finally blew. Gay.

Posted Image

Posted Image

did i mention shitty paint?

I was thinking of just swapping in another 7M/w58 combo but I came across a good deal on a 1J motorset and well, its been in the garage without a motor now ever since.

Posted Image

get that shit out of here.

Posted Image

dirty but checked out ok mechanically.

Posted Image

Posted Image

sad.

still looks like this in the garage.

Posted Image

i got a new credit card when Obama was elected and said, "time to become part of the problem because the solution doesn't pay well enough." i proceeded to stimulate the economy by buying everything from Driftmotion.

new r154 bell on a transmission i picked up from a local mkIII guy. i have all the hardware and stuff to mount it, too. but i need to check clearance in the tunnel and i want to do it before i put it on the motor.

Posted Image

before i got laid off, i was feeling flush so i got a roof spoiler from rinkya. surprisingly, they didnt bitch at all about the size or fragile nature of the item. +1 to them.

Posted Image

and i decided to waste my money on a shitty chinese y-pipe/dp combo and came out with this:

Posted Image

which is only staying on long enough to get the ct-26 i bought sent to DM for rebuilding and upgrading. then im going with a divorced DP.

plans in the near future are to finish the swap with some wiring help from a good friend (when he finishes his GZE corolla), cheapo suspension until new job rolls in, the bigger single setup, then drive it until i find a cleaner body to swap into and maybe going with a 1.5jz and bigger single.

the reason it is taking so long is that i took a break from working on it and paying for parts to save and plan for my wedding which was supposed to take place March 28. my fiancee/gf of 5 years had other plans though, she decided to cheat on me with her boss and tell me she was leaving the day before we were supposed to get married. then she moved in with him and left me unemployed with a mortgage payment and a dog to take care of. so yeah, you could say working on the car is keeping me from going apeshit and destroying everything around me. i think i will keep it for a while...

My friend that lives in US showed me CraigsList while we search for my Cressida. You find lots of odd things on that site. Lots of fat US girls looking for a free ride from black basketball type American man.

#2 lofapoo

lofapoo

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 285 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:34 PM

Get to work, Chris!

The sooner you finish, the sooner you can drive up north and hang out :P
-Tom in limbo

#3 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 7035 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:16 AM

iim hopefully going to be done enough to drive it to nashville in july. maybe not. when it is done im going on a cross-country trip though.

My friend that lives in US showed me CraigsList while we search for my Cressida. You find lots of odd things on that site. Lots of fat US girls looking for a free ride from black basketball type American man.

#4 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 7035 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:40 AM

installed the throttle cable and started the harness work with my friend by depinning the diag box. moving on to the rest soonish. degreased the engine bay and finished what i needed the motor on the stand for today.

picked up a driveshaft monday night and will check clearance in the tunnel hopefully today or tomorrow. after that i will be putting the trans. on the motor and putting it in the car, finishing the wiring and hopefully doing the turbo piping.

#5 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 7035 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 07:13 AM

got a new phone w/ a decent camera and a cable so now i can share some more status pics w/ you guys. im going out to take them now...

motor as it sits now with fancy vinyl from feisar. <3

Posted Image

wiring is getting close to being done, one more useless connector to depin, then body connectors, then wrapping and extending the necessary plugs. my friend believes it will look awesomely close to a factory harness when done and wants me to put pics of his work up... for now it just looks like a mess.

Posted Image

jdm headlights ive had sitting for a while. test fit them but havent attempted wiring yet. going to use a separate foglight switch from a supra or something suitably similar to maintain oem-ish look.

Posted Image

ct-26 pre rebuild and upgrading.

Posted Image

#6 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 7035 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 06:47 PM

i manned up and got a mechanical water pump through a friend for a steal. then i got a timing belt. then i tried to take the crank bolt off and that motherfucker is stuck on. so hard. i used a big breaker and immobilized the flywheel only to start turning the whole motor. had it braced against the ground too. then had a friend sit on the opposite side of the motor, still no go. got an impact, nothing. got a bigger impact, still not budging.

last resorts are a longer brace to hold the motor still and a longer cheater bar on my breaker or taking it to a shop with a super heavy duty impact and blasting it off. shit. this is holding me up.

#7 rayray

rayray

master procrastinator

• real members
  • 3170 posts
  • Interests:professional sleeping

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

yea a lot of times those fuckers are on there tight, and after years of sitting on there they don't budge. we've broken two impact sockets and a cheap breaker bar before on one bolt.

as for supra foglight switch, if it's from a mkiii, won't fit directly in the empty slots in the panel next to the dimmer. i tried. unless you decide to modify the switch housing or enlarge the panel. i think the supra switch was wider and shorter (height) than the opening. of course you could always put it somewhere else. i just ended up using a simple on/off switch installed into one of the blank panel covers
1989 Toyota Cressida 1JZ - back to project backburner

Come to us for crazy parts
Facebook - fb.com/mksengineering

#8 Foompla

Foompla

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1782 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

put a chain wrench on the balancer and use a long ass breaker bar. twist in opposite ways. rinse and repeat.

"What's that?"

"Those are the head gaskets you COULD be saving by switching to JZXproject."

*music*

-end jzxproject.com commercial

#9 Guy Smiley

Guy Smiley

I♥1J

• real members
  • 596 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:38 PM

get a torch, serious. Heat that bitch up and wammo! Thats what I did to mine and Lucas' when timing belt time came. Good luck with the build and I send warm and fuzzy thoughts concerning your wanting to blow up the planet. I say 400hp and an open wastegate is a good cure. Just a thought.

#10 BudgetVIP

BudgetVIP

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1364 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:32 PM

When we had to change out Matt's broken crank pulley, we just put a bar over the rachet, rested it on the ground(drivers side of car) and cranked it over, let the starter do the work.
Honky Lips 4 LIFE!!!

#11 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 7035 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:23 PM

i made a better immobilizer i made out of a spare wrench and some bolts, then i got my hefty friend to lean on the breaker. POP. came right off.

#12 Jason

Jason

FREE CANDY

• Administrators
  • 5144 posts
  • Interests:your mom