tuner4life

I♥1J

• real members
  • 552 posts
  • Interests:Vehicles!!!
  • Powered By:Caffeine, Dicks

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:36 PM

Wait, isn't it a turbo car ?

Just upgrade the turbo, run more boost, and add fuel.

Alzheimer's must be a bitch...   ;)

No turbo, just 250 hp of angry Japanese torque squirrels. The UZ has been a tank and never given me issues. I really can't complain except for the power. Not saying I'd go JZ, but not saying it's out of the question either. 

IMG_20160529_113723105_HDR_zpsi59q6uqz.j

fe92ad35-3c34-44ba-a123-e3699aae7267_zps

#542 battleaxe

battleaxe

I♥1J

• real members
  • 919 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:52 PM

Competive is hard to quantify really. On one hand it's; can you complete the layout without a spin/fuck up. Then in the other hand it's just based on power and being able to keep up TO tandem.

The chassis really has not much to do with it when you factor custom and engine swaps. If you're judging out of the box stuff, sure, an s chassis is easy to get into and start learning, nothing wrong with that. I laugh every time a person says they want to build this obscure car just because it isn't a 240.. Spend years not doing anything.. Like, do you care about this or not? Stop talking and just do it. I've driven a lot of different skid cars and at the end of the day they're all the same, each chassis had their own quirks but that's about it.

My favourite as of late, was a Volvo with BMW front suspension he had laying around. He normally drives a e46 and e36 before that.. built the car from garbage. Junk yard Mustang v8 220hp I think like an old 5.0L motor? In any case he built the car in a month from scrap and skidded it a bunch had stock steering box too lol.

Don't ever complain the power is your problem, such a cop out. Really, it's power to weight... As a sohc Ka in an s13 is about 120hp and a Corolla had 100hp and rights 800lbs less.. Corolla ppl always playing that no power hard to drive card.. Fucking losers. I like driving Corollas a lot, their owners suck usually though

Go to the smaller ones and have fun and not worry about competition because your Pro structure is fucked, it's 100% based on money

/Rant?

#543 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 7444 posts
  • Interests:Your mother

Posted 06 March 2017 - 03:29 PM

Alzheimer's must be a bitch...   ;)

It is........

Prefixes for 'Gordo'
 口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

Best JZXP statement:
Jacob - "We're all fucked. We'll be comparing everything to a Japanese taxi for the rest of our lives."

#544 tuner4life

tuner4life

I♥1J

• real members
  • 552 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

Battleaxe, I agree with most of what you are saying, and when broken down to simple facts like you have, it doesn't really make any sense to run competitive. But on those same lines, there isn't really any sort of competitive racing that is really a "good" idea when using logic to justify doing it. It's just one of those things that I want to do and I'll be taking steps to do it. I agree that it's not for everyone, and it may not even be for me, but I've got to give it a fair shot to know.

Also agreed that many different cars when set up right are all driftable, each with their own advantages/disadvantages. This is why I don't see any reason why an X8 couldn't be just as competitive as an S-chassis. Might have to go on a bit more if a diet, but it's plenty capable. 

I do disagree about the power. In many situations you are correct, the power doesn't matter. As evidence by some of the videos below. My car can keep up with anything on this track because it's small and the fast cars don't really have an opportunity to use all of their power. Where it makes the difference is the larger tracks and big banks that the ProAm series likes to run. The technical parts of the track are fine, but there isn't a chance of keeping any sort of proximity on a bank only having 250hp. The faster cars just walk away. Not using it as an excuse for my driving mistakes, but the times that I wrecked this past year were all caused by over-driving the car to a point of overshooting a corner in attempt to make up ground on faster cars that had pulled a gap. Again, not using it as an excuse, but while I'm having to go balls to the wall just to carry enough speed to maintain drift, drivers with more power can run half throttle up to a big bank, then just pedal through it. Even if you don't consider being low on power my "problem", it would definitely make things much easier to have more. But yes, slower tracks and bash events, it doesn't usually matter too much.

Anyways, Here are some videos from the event Sunday. Enjoy.

https://www.youtube....h?v=hBIVgLcEpAc

https://www.youtube....h?v=KhxbBPcph5I

https://www.youtube....h?v=FIxDbb_jL0M

https://www.youtube....h?v=Bg-3XCc92jE

https://www.youtube....h?v=TqBA6nhbmLY

https://www.youtube....h?v=LISMCcRU2d8

#545 Okidriftjr

Okidriftjr

Team Diplomats NO3

• real members
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Why the hell do you think I am here?
  • Powered By:1JZGTE

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:31 AM

Power matters a ton. Here's why:
When doing solo runs you can pick your lines and stick to them providing you are a good enough driver and even if you call off of the ideal line skill and experience can usually set you back-up for The following clip.
When running a tandem lap you want to have enough researves as a leader to make the follow driver settle in and feel comfortable and then you turn it up a notch mid run hoping/betting he doesn't have the researves to stay close and follow your line. Conversly, as a chaser you need to have the power to close the gap, maintain that gap and adjust for the leaders mistakes.
This is almost exactly why the little corollas are no longer competitive today.
That's just my experience and I don't say it to deter you

I keep comming back to toyotas. Guess it's where I belong!

You don't know what JDM is unless you lived there!

Car by panic

Parts by XM

Aero by Lucas

Single handedly keeping the UN alive.

#546 tuner4life

tuner4life

I♥1J

• real members
  • 552 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

You are exactly right. That's what my sleep deprived banter above was supposed to be getting at.

#547 battleaxe

battleaxe

I♥1J

• real members
  • 919 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:25 AM

Keep in mind I said power doesn't matter until you get into competitions where it does, hence your Pro aspersions are based totally on money and the whole program isn't based on skill. I should have phrased that better. Derp. Or at least I was saying that in my head, I'll have to reread what I typed. Derp.

The mods on modern drift cars makes the car correct many driver errors and since many drivers seem to start with these mods it makes them worse drivers, IMO.

#548 Okidriftjr

Okidriftjr

Team Diplomats NO3

• real members
  • 961 posts
  • Interests:Why the hell do you think I am here?
  • Powered By:1JZGTE

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

^ agreed.
I slid for about 8 years with zero angle mods. It was a trip to drive a friend's x8 with extra angle so I sold out and upgraded.

I keep comming back to toyotas. Guess it's where I belong!

You don't know what JDM is unless you lived there!

Car by panic

Parts by XM

Aero by Lucas

Single handedly keeping the UN alive.

#549 battleaxe

battleaxe

I♥1J

• real members
  • 919 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

Nothing wrong with upgrading. Starting with crap makes you better and more understanding to things. Some of the angle cars we have here I have driven and I can't wrap my head around it, well that's after a few laps in each car, very different setups.

I just skid because it's fun and my friends do it, I just try to scare myself by doing new stuff. I fuck up a lot trying new things. It's also how I teach, as there's no one way to do it, we all just goes find our way.

If you do try your hand at pro, just do a jz. To turbo a 1uz is almost redundant. Weight and complications vs plug and play power. My x8 is 3200 with full interior and no weight reduction and I feel 2800 is plenty doable which is stock s13 territory.

Angle mods lol, super easy. Short knuckles, 20mm longer Lca, two long stock tie rods, x7 rack, boom, plenty. My stock knuckles, two long side tie rods, and 40mm longer lcas I have a lot of angle, more than my s13 and supra both with modded steering

#550 tuner4life

tuner4life

I♥1J

• real members
  • 552 posts