r154 trans issues

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dzero

dzero

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Chicken, waffles, prizza, drifting, tattooed bitches, turbos, haters, fucking shit up.

Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:30 AM

So.. rebuilt my 154 before it went in the car, new shift forks bearing retainer and i think that was it. 

Forgot about thrust washer. Was nice and quiet when first started/driven, keeps getting louder and louder and now sounds like i have a fucking dog box in the thing, and shifts like it too, 2nd and 3rd grind to shit when i shift hard.

So, did i fuck up by not putting the updated thrust washer in? To me it sounds like the input shaft bearing is gone on the thing, but i'm not too fluent in trans issue diag. 

Also my factory toyota release bearing has lasted about 10 hours of driving, half on track half street. 

Picking up a spare trans in a few weeks from some guy for 500$ so im gonna throw that in and take mine apart and look at shit, just wondering if any of you have had issues like these, and what your fixes were? 

Cheers fuckers.

Only JZXP can go from nice titties and wet pussy to dicks fucking assholes in 10 posts or less

#2 Austin

Austin

Avernier

• real members
  • 2866 posts
  • Interests:cars. my dog. my cat. straightedge.

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:11 PM

Cd09.

1986 KA-T AE86 Corolla coupe: For sale for ever maybe?
1977 Datsun 280Z: 1.5jz aem v2 and holset.

Cressida's are for bandwagoners, real drifters drive pignose s13's with rb20's and xxr's.

RIVALHOUSEGARAGE.COM

#3 Gibbs

Gibbs

I♥2J

• real members
  • 1851 posts
  • Interests:Drifting and building cars

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

dogbox

"The best part about both these videos are Cressidas."
Alexi From Nori Yaro

#4 aphxero

aphxero

I♥2J

• OG
  • 4867 posts
  • Interests:drift, toyota

Posted 30 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

http://www.ebay.com/...382b3a1&vxp=mtr

#5 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 7047 posts
  • Interests:Your mother

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:22 AM

PSG gears:

http://www.supraforu...01#post11817001

Prefixes for 'Gordo'

口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

#6 Urrik

Urrik

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 02:56 AM

Yeah my shit does the same thing, dude.  Except without the grinding because I replaced the synchros.  I replaced the thrust washer but forgot about one of the bearings, I believe it was the counter shaft bearing on the retainer plate.  First through third is incredibly loud, especially with a solid trans mount.  Solution: drive with the windows down.  Not opening it up again.  Fuck R154s. 

#7 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 7047 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:12 AM

Damn, this is almost sounding like a 7M thread, except for the leaking coolant. :blink:

Prefixes for 'Gordo'

口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

#8 Urrik

Urrik

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 03:18 AM

Instead, there's leaking gear oil since the sealant I used was probably expired.  Maybe I'll do that sober next time.  

#9 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 7047 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 01:30 PM

Probably the reason so many 'rebuilds' turn out poorly........

(except 7Ms, as there is nothing one can do about them failing)

Prefixes for 'Gordo'

口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

#10 dzero

dzero

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 193 posts
  • Interests:Chicken, waffles, prizza, drifting, tattooed bitches, turbos, haters, fucking shit up.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

Noisy from trans when clutch engaged, then when i push on the pedal to disengage it sounds like im murdering thousands of baby squirrels because of my release bearing. 

Shits annoying as fuck, but im just gonna wait til i throw that other box in and maybe pull the fucker apart again.

Fucking wish i had money for a dogbox. i'd even street drive with it. Clutch in this thing is aggressive enough that i might as well be driving with one. forgot how much fun stop and go traffic was for the left leg.

Only JZXP can go from nice titties and wet pussy to dicks fucking assholes in 10 posts or less

#11 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6825 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:54 AM

seriously thinking about getting a fucking g force and a winters quick change or something for my racecar. have extra r154 to rebuild with MC parts for street duty, if that works then i will also rebuild the other one too.

My friend that lives in US showed me CraigsList while we search for my Cressida. You find lots of odd things on that site. Lots of fat US girls looking for a free ride from black basketball type American man.

#12 ChriSOL

ChriSOL

I♥2J

• 6825 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 10:55 AM

seriously, the line between having a shitty time hacking together last-minute fixes and being able to drive a season without a million bullshit repairs is not trying to purpose mass-produced commuter grade drivetrain as dedicated race parts. take from that what you will.

My friend that lives in US showed me CraigsList while we search for my Cressida. You find lots of odd things on that site. Lots of fat US girls looking for a free ride from black basketball type American man.

#13 Cyrious

Cyrious

Formerly sleeper sideways

• real members
  • 369 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:54 PM

If your gonna take the time to rebuild something do it right the first time. Follow the tsrm and triple check your work. I feel ya bud.

VSe3hzX.gif

#14 Ilia

Ilia

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:22 PM

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Plan for this winter is:

Install OE Toyota engine and trans mounts.

Install Solstice/Sky AR5

Cross fingers

I've given up on the 154. They were shoddy to begin with and at this point are 20 years old. Hopefully the newer AR5 will be a bit better.

bigheadrico.jpg?t=1325026481

#15 aphxero

aphxero

I♥2J

• OG
  • 4867 posts
  • Interests:drift, toyota

Posted 19 September 2015 - 09:25 PM

ilia: you might wanna look at the r155 too. it would probably be a good match with 3.90 final drive

#16 Gordo

Gordo

Resident Grumpy Old Man

• real members
  • 7047 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 05:38 AM

You might want to decide if you would rather replace transmissions, or clutchs.........

A softer clutch will protect the trans.

Also, just buying an old R154 is your problem. If you had built it before throwing them in the car, you would be getting better life.

And also going through the trans every few events would help.

Do you really think any trans will take endless clutch kicks ?

Why do you think real race cars get their trans pulled after every single event, and problem parts replaced even if they look good ?

Prefixes for 'Gordo'

口 Holy Shit  
口That ass hole,  
口The Magnificant  
口That old fart,  
口The infamous  
口That crazy  
口That 7M guy,   

#17 Ninjabread

Ninjabread

I♥1J

• real members
  • 408 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 05:19 PM

Out of curiosity, does anyone run a mk3 trans and have issues with it shitting out fluid?

Exploded my x90 trans (which lasted 3 years and never leaked a single drop) so i bought a mk3 trans to replace it for now. All new seals on it and it was fine on the dyno but as soon as I went drifting it was puking out mad fluid. 

Some guys say it's because there is no vent on the mk3 trans? Was gonna drill a hole in the shifter housing a run a hose to a catch can inside the car to see if that would help haha.

Hey I love the taste of the wheel rim to the deep personal! I would certainly feel the wheel of the sports, the man ultimately decides the wheel rim deep balls!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users