• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jacob

Jacob

Bad Santa

• OG
  • 2284 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:38 AM

So I've had this on going issue with my 5vzfe. I have to take it into the ZONE to see, if codes actually come up this time around. Other than that I've got very little time until Christmas "break". Don't want to waste my break chasing bullshit and don't want to run my shit into the ground out to neglect. I love dailying this thing. It's my street fighting thing hauler... bob 'n' weave, run over shit, pick up free shit.

The longs: It's a 1996 T100 2wd auto to manual conversion. Auto ecu with transmission sensor in park. 340k miles. A couple month's after the swap, it started struggling with idle. And No break up in acceleration, may be a once a week stumble. I chased a code or 2. Cleaned the MAF with a qu-tip. REMOVED CAT (it was dying). Stumbling and lack of idle went away. A few weeks later, I started getting a break up during throttle. Sometimes off the line. Sometimes around 3.5-4.5krpms. It's getting worse. 

I'm hoping one of you guys has just dealt with this problem a thousand times and can just nail it. If not, I need a good plan of action/process of elimination. All I can rough guess is TPS, MAF, coils, or timing.   I will run codes again today or tomorrow. See what i can see. a

Besides being down right irritating and progressively killing shit, it's completely shelved any momentum to turbo it. Not going put in as freshly rebuilt turbo just to blow fins up.

Thanks for the hand holding in advance. 

"not all idiots are stupid" 

VCK11 - manual conversion. 90s stock fast. thing hauler. street fighter status. T67/.68ar @ 7psi under cab mount, soon to come.

Buick - gifted. ugly. reliable. extreme back up. I try selling all the time. 

#2 Lofty

Lofty

MOTOBYTE.NET

• real members
  • 1995 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:29 AM

Take the plastic top part off of the maf, check if one of those pins is shorting on the other one.  

Cressida maf may work, I know it works on 3vz as well as 22re. Worth a try if you have one laying around. You can also try unplugging it and seeing what happens for testing. 
Also sometimes the ECUs on toyota trucks get wet and corroded. Might wanna crack it open and take a look. 

Other than that, spark related or fuel related. 

post-cressida jzxp is a fitting limbo for us to exist in. hell is a choose-your-own-adventure story and there are no "good"endings.

#3 Jacob

Jacob

Bad Santa

• OG
  • 2284 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:30 PM

^door flapper maf will work??

aside from all the transmission codes, it threw a code for temps not being good for closed loop. so ill chase down the wrie or sensor, then double back to the maf

VCK11 - manual conversion. 90s stock fast. thing hauler. street fighter status. T67/.68ar @ 7psi under cab mount, soon to come.

#4 Demesio

Demesio

I♥VTEC

• real members
  • 1284 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:45 PM

a bad ECT sensor would make the engine suck..

#5 Lofty

Lofty

MOTOBYTE.NET

• real members
  • 1995 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 12:50 PM

Jacob, didn't realize these didn't have the flapper, sorry. 

post-cressida jzxp is a fitting limbo for us to exist in. hell is a choose-your-own-adventure story and there are no "good"endings.

#6 BoristheCat

BoristheCat

I HATE 7M

• real members
  • 72 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 07:27 PM

I second Demesio's suggestion.  The fact that you got a temp code too points to this.  My guess is that the sensor might be fine, but maybe you have corrosion, debris/oil on a wire or contact somewhere, or something similar. 

If it's an old ass sensor, it's probably a good idea to replace it anyway.

Any problem with your ETC would make everything screwy, including idle, cold start, or once it's warmed up.

V0ETrsum.png        2BmDAcem.png

#7 Jacob

Jacob

Bad Santa

• OG
  • 2284 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:16 AM

MO will 3rd it. And I will 4th it because now I know have reasonable suspicion as to what caused my 80amp fuseable link to blow out and for the curcuit to complete itself through the chassis and arch off all weird while I was fucking with it.

Not sure how related because it just happened a little bit even before that.

I've got a fluke multimeter. I will get to it later today.

#8 Jacob

Jacob

Bad Santa

• OG
  • 2284 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 07:35 AM

Okay so according to this vid... https://www.youtube....h?v=bPAIFL8VH9w .....sensor should read about 2 ohms cold and goes up to 5 ohms hot. Mine reads 4.26 so I guess mine is fucked.

But the wiring. 

The multimeter in the video does beepy noises for good news. Not sure how to translate that to actual readings

sensor plug turned toward me with clip at north.

key in on position but not cranked

volts 
left pin ... 0
rigtht pin .... 5.0

ohms
left ... 31.8
right .... OL (open loop)

key out 

volts 
L ... 0
R ... 0.2

ohms 
L .... 0.3
R .... 2.8

ECT sensor

ohms .... 4.3

#9 Lofty

Lofty

MOTOBYTE.NET

• real members
  • 1995 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 09:04 PM

I might have one of these laying around. 

#10 Jacob

Jacob

Bad Santa

• OG
  • 2284 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:37 PM

Fucking got worse before, I could get to the temp sensor. Stumbled to the point of shaking like a bitch. replaced the temp sensor and now I have a permanment miss throughout the rpm range. So 1 step forward 2 steps back. I'm going to have a go at it again tomorrow. See what else the scanner shows. double check coil packs. If nothing simple helps out, I found a good shop that only does automotive electrical. I'll dump it off to them for a bit. I don't have time with everything that's happening lately. I miss my truck, and I need it good because I may have found an idiot to buy up my buick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users